Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

Ford Ranger: He took apart and basically destroyed the wiper portion

I have a Ford Ranger, 2001, with wiper control problems. A friend was using it when it developed a wiper problem but it is not clear what the original problem was. He took apart and basically destroyed the wiper portion of the multipurpose switch. I replaced the switch. Here is the problem now. The switch can be in any position, including off all the way to high, and the wipers will periodically make one cycle as if the switch is set to the longest delay setting. Any time you move the switch setting a cycle is initiated and if left untouched will repeat on a regular basis.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Can you give me the VIN number to look up the correct information?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1FTYR10C91TA11930
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Since you have already replaced the switch and the wiper does move that only leaves the GEM module.It controls all functions of the wipers.I do not believe your friend caused this I think the module has just gone bad. The module was known to go bad and cause wiper issues.You can have the module tested for trouble codes to determine if the module is bad.The module is located behind the radio.