Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

My 2005 Ford Expedition check engine light came on during a

My 2005 Ford Expedition check engine light came on during a -15 degree snow storm last week. My dash said check throttle and car would not go when i press on the gas. Since that evening i have had no reoccurence of the issue and my car seems to be driving fine except check engine light is still on. Should i take it in or any ideas of what the issue could be.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 years ago.

Sounds like it may have just been a fluke in one of the throttle controls (ie- throttle position sensor, iac valve). Its possible some moisture built up inside had frozen. If you are not experiencing any drivabilty issues at this time, you can reset the Check Engine light by removing the "NEG" cable from the battery for 10min. Make sure you have a working keyfob for your alarm and a radio code (if equipped) as these systems usually reset as well when using this method. If there IS a problem, the light will return after 50-75miles or so of normal city/highway driving. If the light does return, you will need to have it put on a diagnostic scan-tool and have the "p-codes" read from the computer and figure out which sensor/part in which system is causing the fault.