Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

1998 F150: LIMP HOME MODE..WATER PUMP,RADIATOR,HEATER CORE

Customer Question

MY 1998 F150 GOES INTO LIMP HOME MODE (DEFALT)SYSTUM PRESURIZES TURN OFF
IT RESTS THEN IS GOOD.CHANGED INTAKE GASKETS, WATER PUMP,RADIATOR,
HEATER CORE,THERMOSTAT.AND FLUSHED.IT STILL DEFALTS.THANKS
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford expert replied 4 years ago.
Well the reason it would go into limp in mode would be to cause the PC M has detected some sort of problem , When this is Acting up using the scanner check the computer for any possible trouble codes . If you do not have one of these you can stop into your local auto zone and it will normally scan the computer for you for free .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THE TRUCK IS AT WHITCOMB FORD IN CORNING,NY

THE ONLY CODE THAT COMES UP IS ENGINE OVER HEAT

AFTER ALL THAT HAS BEEN DONE TO OPEN THE SYSTUM

THE FACORY REP SAYS HE DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE

Have you actually ever had this truck overheat?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WE ARN'T SURE. 206 TO 212 THEY SAY THE COMPUTER WOULDN'T

RELATE TO THIS. I DRIVE IT APX.4MILES THE GAUGE FALLS TO COLD THEN

SPIKES TO HOT THEN DEFALTS

The more you're telling me the more it sounds like a defective PCm, who will we need to do is see if this engine is actually overheating for real or if the PCm just thinks it is, maybe you should suggest to the dealer that they try a new temperature sensor first
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they put a temp. sensor in also i will inquire about the PCm what is it how

much will that cost + labor guess

USUALLY THE PCM AND LABOR IS 650.00
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I WILL ASK IF THE TEMP SENSOR AND PCM SHOULD BE

THE NEXT THINGS TO TEST . THANKS IWILL GET

BACK WITH YOU.

OK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
STILL WAITING..............................
ok let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

STILL WAITING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok let me know what you find out