EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified

Is replacing a heater core on a 2002 Ford Taurus difficult

Is replacing a heater core on a 2002 Ford Taurus difficult? What would it cost to have it done?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

Depending on local labor rates count on $700-$800. It is a just about an all day job.You must remove the entire dash carrier to do this.

Parts Information
PartOEM PartPrice
Heater Core
Heater CoreF8OZ18476AA$82.56Notes
LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Heater Core
ReplaceB2.35.0Notes
Does Not Include: Refrigerant Recovery Or Evacuate & Recharge AC System.
NOTE
With Center Console, AddB0.00.5Notes
To Replace Heater Hoses, Add
OneB0.20.4Notes
BothB0.30.5

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Step by step directions if I wanted to replace heater core myself on a 2002 Ford Taurus

Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

Print this on first viewing, it might time out as it is long.

Removal and Installation
Notes

REMOVAL

1. Remove the driver side air bag module.
  2. Remove the passenger side air bag module.
  3. Close the glove compartment door.
  4. If equipped with a floor console selector lever, remove the selector lever.

1. Remove the front door scuff plates.
  2. Position the front door weather-strips aside.

1. Remove the A-pillar trim panels. NOTE: When installing the A-pillar trim panels, be sure the alignment tabs are positioned correctly.

1. Remove the defroster grille.
    • If equipped, disconnect the sunload/headlamp sensor electrical connector.

NOTE: Lift upwards on the rear edge of the defroster grille then slide rearward to remove.

1. Remove the three instrument panel cowl top bolts.

1. Release the parking brake cable from the parking brake actuator.
1Release the cable from the parking brake actuator.
2Release the cable conduit from the parking brake actuator.

1. Remove the parking brake release handle.
1Remove the retainer clip.
2Remove the parking brake release handle.

1. Disconnect the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) electrical connector.

1. Loosen the bolts and disconnect the bulkhead electrical connectors.

1. Loosen the bolt and disconnect the steering column bulkhead electrical connector.

1. Separate the intermediate shaft from the steering column.
1Remove the pinch bolt.
2Separate the intermediate shaft from the steering column.

1. If equipped with a steering column selector lever, disconnect the transmission shift cable.
1Disconnect the cable from the steering column shift tube lever.
2Disconnect the cable from the steering column bracket.

1. Remove the pin-type retainers and the passenger side instrument panel insulator.

1. Disconnect the blower motor, resistor block and blend door actuator jumper harness.

1. Remove the two instrument panel side finish panels.

1. Remove the four instrument panel cowl side bolts.
  2. Remove the instrument panel. NOTE: This step requires an assistant.

INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  1. Remove the instrument panel. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Removal and Installation, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Removal and Installation

1. Remove the right-side cowl vent screen.

1. Remove the screws and the water shield.

1. Using suitable hose pinching pliers, clamp the heater hoses. Disconnect the heater hoses.

Vehicles with EATC

1. Remove the Remote Climate Control (RCC) module.
1Disconnect the RCC module electrical connector.
2Remove the two nuts. Disconnect the vacuum harness.
3Remove the two screws.

All Vehicles

1. Remove the screws and shield.

1. Disconnect the temperature blend door actuator electrical connector. Remove the screws and the temperature blend door actuator.

1. Remove the temperature blend door assist spring.

1. Remove the supplemental temperature blend lever shaft.
1Depress the tab and remove the supplemental temperature blend lever shaft from the supplemental blend door.
2Rotate and remove the supplemental blend door pivot shaft from the metal link.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to bend any part of the supplemental temperature blend door lever.

1. Remove the metal link from the temperature blend door pivot shaft.

1. Remove the heater core cover.
1Remove the screws.
2Rotate the temperature blend door pivot shaft.
3Remove the heater core cover and seal.

1. Remove the heater core.
1Rotate the blend door pivot shaft.
2Remove the heater core.

INSTALLATION

• Lubricant the coolant hoses with coolant hose lubricant or plain water only, if needed.
  1. Refill cooling system
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think this is too complicated for me. Two weeks ago I had Circle City Ford in Indianapolis, In. replace leaking hoses feeding the heater core. They flushed system also and the heater worked fine after the repairs. Yesterday we noticed the heat was not as hot as it should be. The AC doesn't seem as cold as it should be also. he Temp gauge on the dash seems to be running a little lower than normally. What do you think?
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
You described it pretty good, one hot heater hose, one cold...they should both be HOT or you will not get heat, air must be able to pass over a hot core to get hot heat.As far as AC, by design the compressor does not run once the temps are in the 38-40 degree range.BTW, wise choice, the core is not an easy job, you would still have to have someone evacuate & recharge the AC system as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can rule out Thermostat being possibly stuck partially open? When I have the heater core replaced by someone, is there anything I should make sure the mechanic does or check when doing this job? Thanks a lot for your help!
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
Definitely not a t-stat, make sure the system is thoroughly flushed, it is debris and rust build up that plugs a heater core. Also make sure your AC system gets refilled if it gets evacuated or come spring there will be no AC.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last comment or question. Would it be worth our time to have it reversed flushed again just to see if it would break loose sediment from the heater core and give us some extra time until late spring. Right now if I go over 50 MPH, the heat is really comfortable. Below 50 MPH, the air is probably 75-80 degrees from the heater. Thanks again.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
You can try, it's a crapshoot and could plug up in a week.
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience: 20 years with Ford, Master Certified