lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

how do I replace the batteries on a 2006 e-350 diesel both

Customer Question

how do I replace the batteries on a 2006 e-350 diesel? both batts are on frame rail
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The vehicle needs to be elevated on a hoist and a transmission jack is used to lower the tray and battery as an assembly,then the cover and cables are removed. Its a bear of a job if you don't have a hoist and a trans jack.

CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS

CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the batteries are not on a tray, they are in two separate boxes. i'm concerned about the cables, is there a certain order they should removed in/
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 years ago.
The cable disconnect procedure is the second link. I have not replaced them on an 06 in a while but I thought the box was the cover and the tray was the bottom support, unless the ford shop manual is wrong. I will opt out, maybe another expert has replaced them recently and can offer more information.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

my ford dealer says they are on a tray also, i see no "tray", just two boxes attached to the outside of the passenger side frame rail

Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider, here is a diagram of the battery mounting, does yours look like this?

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, i guess my question should be- are the cables long enough to lower the boxes,or trays, seperately or should they come out as a pair? i'm assumming they are top post batteries my cocern is getting to the battery posts
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the reply, the way the batteries are mounted to the frame, Ford calls this tray mounted, here is the procedure, according to the replacement procedure it will lower enough to remove the top cover and the terminals and yes they are top mount batteries, hope this helps.

Battery - Frame Mounted

Removal and Installation

1. CAUTION: Failure to accurately follow the battery disconnect procedures described in this section may result in vehicle or component damage.

NOTE: The preferred method of service requires the use of a floor hoist to lift the vehicle overhead, and a transmission jack to support and lower the frame-mounted battery case.

NOTE: The frame-mounted battery can be charged while the frame-mounted battery safety straps are connected to the vehicle. Follow the procedures up to and including disconnection of the frame-mounted battery cables.

Disable the vehicle electrical supply. For additional information, refer to Battery Disconnect - Dual.
  1. Remove the upper RH battery tray bolt.
    • To install, tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
  1. Loosen the 3 remaining battery tray bolts.
  1. Slide the battery tray up and to the right to disengage the battery tray from the 3 battery tray bolts and lower it onto a suitable lifting device.
  1. Remove the 2 nuts and bolts and position the battery tray cover aside.
    • To install, tighten to 7 Nm (62 lb-in).
  1. Loosen the nuts and disconnect the battery terminals.
    • To install, tighten to 15 Nm (11 lb-ft).
  1. Remove the 2 battery tray safety strap bolts and position the safety straps aside.
    • To install, tighten to 30 Nm (22 lb-ft).
  1. Remove the battery tray from the vehicle and place on the work bench.
  1. Remove the battery hold-down clamp and bolt.
  1. Remove the battery.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Battery Disconnect - Dual

Vehicles with 6.0L engine

1. CAUTION: Make sure the frame-mounted battery negative cable does not contact the frame. If necessary, wrap the terminal with electrical tape.

Remove the bolt and disconnect the battery ground cable at the frame.
    • To connect, tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).

graphic

All engines

1. Disconnect the positive battery cables.
    • To connect, tighten to 7 Nm (62 lb-in).
  1. To connect, reverse the disconnect procedure.

Battery and Battery Tray - Exploded View, Frame Mounted

graphic

ItemPart NumberDescription
1W500234Battery tray bolt (upper RH bolt)
2W500234Battery tray bolts (3 required)
3W500225Battery tray safety strap bolts (2 required)
4-Battery tray safety strap eyelets (2 required)
510769Battery tray
6N800854Battery tray cover nut (2 required)
7N606677Battery tray cover bolts (2 required)
810B679Battery tray cover
9-Battery terminal nuts (2 required) (part of 14B060)
1010B684Battery hold-down clamp and bolt
1110655Battery

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.