Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified

2003 Expedition eddie bauer: dome lights..heated seats..4x4

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Expedition eddie bauer and my auto lights,dome lights,heated seats,4x4 and washer fluid all stopped working at the same time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
To have all of that fail at the same exact time it sounds like a bad GEM ( Generic Electronic Module). I would have the codes pulled from the module and see if it leads to replacing the module which I would suspect it will. Very rarely do all things fail at the same time and not be the only thing they all have in common.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where is the module located and do I need to take it to the dealer for this
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
Sorry In looking over the information for your vehicle and the different things that are bad I would say that the problem is the Interior fuse box.Some of the items your vehicle has not working is controlled by 2 different modules and that is really rare that 2 modules fail at the same time. I would take to a dealer so they can verify that the modules are good but just not getting the correct voltage from the fuse box. If the modules do turn out to be bad than they must be reprogrammed after replacing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked the fuses and power across the fuses and everything is fine

Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
check fuse 118 and make sure that you have power across the fuse than check for power on the red/black wire under the drivers seat in the connector for the seat module.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
checked the fuse it is fine checked a red wire with a black stripe it also has power
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
ok now check fuse 18 and the white/light blue wire same connector under seat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
with ignition on they both have power
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
next check the ground at the passenger kick panel and make sure it is tight.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its good
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
Ok so the module has power and ground now check the ground for the switches they share the same ground.It is located behind the drivers side b-pillar ( the panel located between the front and rear doors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ground is good
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
with a good power and good ground the next step is to test the modules for trouble codes.The seats should work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the seats move fine just the heat and air does not work but what about the 4x4 and the auto lights and thedome lights the dome lights work wheni shut truck off the puddle lights and the dome lights come on for a timed period but when you open door lights dont work and radio wont shut off until the delay kicks in
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.

The dome lights work with the switch and when you turn off the vehicle? Does any doors cause the dome light to come on when they are opened?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dome lights work when truck is running using the switch and when you shut truck off they come on and stay on for a minute or so and when you open any door lights do not work
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
try spraying the door latches with silicone spray and opening and shutting several times to check for stuck door ajar switches.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did that because at one time had a stuck door ajar light on but what are the odds all door switchs are stuck and also when truck is not on you can not turn on the dome lights on by the switch either almost like no power unless ignition is on
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
Has this vehicle ever been in a flood?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it was in an accident but almost 5 years ago and 85000 miles ago
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
Does the wipers work and just not the washer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
Check the black/white wire at the washer pump and see if you have 12 volts when someone presses the switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when you test there is power at pump when button is pushed so that is most likely the pump it self right
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
Ground the other wire and if it still does not work than yes the pump is bad.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the pump is bad how about the dome lights and the auto head lights the head lights work when turned on manually
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.
ok with the lights working properly by the main switch you will need the Vechile security module checked for trouble codes for the lighting issues.That part is module controlled.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how about the 4x4 is it controlled by the same module and could the whole system have gotten some sort of surge and caused all these modules to have gone haywire even maybe the heated seat modules
Expert:  Tim replied 4 years ago.

Yes usually something like that is a lightning strike or some major power surge. The 4x4 has its module also that would need to be tested for codes.