Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

I have a brake drag coming from the front disc brakes on my

Customer Question

I have a brake drag coming from the front disc brakes on my 2006 ford focus. i have replaced the front brake pads and calipers and there is still a drag. the brakes are only braking on the top half of the rotors. How can i fix it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer, if the large spring like clip is not installed properly it will cause the uneven wear you are referring to, also make sure the brake pads contact points are lubed for easier operation and even pad wear (see the diagrams below), hope this helps you out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for responding,

The outer spring has been installed properly by me and again by the dealer. I had the dealer look at it and they could not figure it out. It also seems that the brake pedal feels low and spongy since replacing the pads. This happened prior to replacing the calipers.

Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Hi trtrap,

If the caliper mounting bolts are misaligned then the pads will also wear unevenly, also try adjusting the rear brakes, which can also cause a soft pedal.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The rear brakes have been adjusted, the pedal was fine prior to the front pads being replaced. After the pads were replaced the pedal felt low and the drag continued. The caliper pins have been replaced by ford and there has been no change in the brake condition. I am at a loss at this point.
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

The only other possibility would be the wheel hub bearing causing all the problems.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would the wheel bearing be causing both front brakes to drag, brake unevenly and cause a low pedal?