Lee
Lee, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  31 years experience ASE Master Technician
19679497

2001 Ranger XLT: 2wd..3.0 engine..shifting..tranny..first gear

I have a 2001 Ranger XLT 2wd 3.0 engine with 5 spd auto transmission that still has shifting problems after tranny two rebuilds. The problems are; faint whirling or wining sound in first gear, upshifts too quickly often skipping 2nd and 4th gear on normal accelleration, Won't go into passing gear on normal heavy accelleration, only kicks down one gear when flooring it. The transmission shop where I have my Ranger at says that my engine coolant was low and because my camshaft sybchronizer is squeaking are the causes for the tranny to not shift correctly. I suspect they don't want to tear into it a third time because it's still under their warranty. What say you?

Hi! There

Welcome to Just Answers

The camshaft syc. needs to be replaced, if it is squeaking, This is a sign, before the shaft breaks. I am not there, and can not see what your transmission is doing, but going on what you have said above, That does not sound correct, but most transmission shops, wants the engine systems working right, before they diognoise the transmission.

Lee

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Your answer seems a bit vague to me. Let me rephrase the question. Can low engine coolant level or a squeaking camshaft syn cause a 4R55E transmission to shift incorrectly? Cause whining sound? Miss gears on upshift and not get passing gear? Thanks

It will not cause a whinning noise. If camshaft syn. is working good and just squeaking it will not cause it to miss gears and not get passing gear. Low coolent will not cause it to miss gears on upshift and not get passing gear.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What qualifies as good working camshaft syn? Engine always starts easily, has smooth idle and no missing on accelleration.

One that will show a good scope pattern, with no breaks in the pattern. When a syn. starts squeaking, The shaft is gowlding in the housing and it will lock and the shaft will break. the gowlding will cause a break in the scope pattern. The ECM will also see this and can temp. lose cam signal. Being the engine is running in syn. already and the ECM knows when #1 is coming up. This break in the pattern will normally not affect the engine or the transmission, but there is a chance that it could.