Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

pm151: few codes on my 4.2 e250 v6 van...it thinks it is running lean

Customer Question

i am having a few codes on my 4.2 e250 v6 van. p1130,p1131,p1151. i have been having horrible fuel seeing as it thinks it is running lean. i replaced the o2 sensors and that didnt seem to help. when van is cold, after about 1 minute of running it starts to idle real poor and almost stalls. if i give it gas it clears right up and runs fine after that but i want to fix this as it is killing me in fuel charges. any thoughts on what do look at next?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Has the upper intake gaskets been replaced? Also, If the inatake gaskets were replaced, were the egr ports cleaned while the upper was off? What about the pcv elbow under the throttle body, these are well know for leaking vacuum? Let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the upper intake gasket has not been replaced. it only has 75k on it. i did pull of the egr a while back to look at it as i had a different runninng issue a while back but it was very clean and functioning fine. as to the pcv elbow can those be checked or replaced easily or do you have to remove throttle body?

The reason I asked about the intake port gaskets, is they usually only last around 40k miles. The replacements last much longer. Here is the TSB from Ford about it. Thanks

Printable View (10 KB)
TSB
05-22-6
  • MIL ON WITH DTC P1131 AND/OR P1151 - 4.2L ENGINE
Publication Date: October 21, 2005

FORD:2001-2003 E-150, E-250
2001-2004 F-150

This article supersedes TSB 05-17-3 to update the vehicle model years and issue.

ISSUE:

Some 2001-2003 F-150, 2004 F-150 Heritage and 2001-2003 E-150/250 vehicles equipped with a 4.2L engine may exhibit the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P1131 and/or P1151 (system too lean bank 1 or 2). This condition may be due to leaking isolator bolts/port gaskets in the upper-to-lower intake manifold mounting area. This condition is sometimes intermittent and may not be apparent on a warmed-up engine.

ACTION:

Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE:THIS CONDITION COULD ALSO BE DUE TO WARM AMBIENT TEMPERATURES AND THE USE OF WINTER GRADE FUELS WHICH HAVE VERY HIGH VOLATILITY AND MAY BOIL IN THE FUEL LINES (VAPOR LOCK) DURING A SHORT HOT SOAK. OXYGENATED FUELS WILL AGGRAVATE THIS CONDITION. IF NON-OXYGENATED FUEL IS NOT AVAILABLE, USE MID/HIGH OCTANE FUELS WHICH HAVE LOWER VOLATILITY AND MAY HELP ALLEVIATE THE CONDITION.

1. Perform a self test. If DTC P1131 and/or P1151 are the only codes stored in the powertrain control module (PCM) proceed to Step 2. If any additional DTCs are present, follow normal diagnostic procedures found in the PC/ED Manual.
  2. Remove the upper intake and replace only the port gaskets (9H486) and isolator bolt assemblies (9S479). The new isolator bolt assemblies use a rubber material that is green in color, do not install the old isolator bolt assemblies with the black rubber material. Do not replace any other intake parts or gaskets. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-01 (In-Vehicle Repair; Upper Intake Manifold) for removal and installation procedure.
  3. While the upper intake manifold is removed, check the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) orifices that are pressed into each primary port of the lower intake manifold. If any of the orifices are plugged with soot, clean and unplug them with a pick and solvent.

CAUTION:DO NOT USE SMOKE DETECTION, PROPANE GAS, CARBURETOR OR BRAKE CLEANER TO TEST FOR VACUUM LEAKS. CARBURETOR OR BRAKE CLEANER MAY CAUSE INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL (IMRC) BEARING FAILURE. SOME LEAKAGE FROM THE IDLE AIR CONTROL (IAC) OR EGR VALVE AND IMRC SEALS IS NORMAL, DO NOT REPLACE THESE PARTS. DO NOT REPLACE THE LOWER ALUMINUM INTAKE MANIFOLD.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
1L3Z-9H486-AAPort Gasket
3F2Z-9S479-AAIsolator Bolt

Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for the reply, i will accept the answer so you get paid for it... sorry i didnt do that last night i am new to this site and didnt realize that you replyed a second time to me thanks and have a great night
no problem