Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

98 Escort starter remove & replace

Customer Question

'98 Escort starter remove & replace
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The best way to do this is to come at it from under neath and it helps if you have ramps or a least a jack and some good jack stands. I have enclosed the instructions. Be sure to disconect the positive battery cable.

Download Here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Ron,

Thank you for the reply and the page from the Ford manual. Step 7 says to raise the vehicle a second time which the HAYNES manual omits. Is that to gain access to the starter cable connecter nuts? The HAYNES manual I have says to take the starter out the top side, however, it looks like it the bottom route is easier, as you suggested. It just doesn't look like I can get access to the connecter nuts from the topside easily. I have the car up on jackstands now with the three bolts out.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Yes it is .but if you have a bucket or small latter you can leave it up. THey assume we all have a $10,000 hoist in our back yards.