jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have professionally been in the Automotive field for 30 years

2002 Ford Explorer: slow..canister..a diagram for the fuel fill system

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer that is experiencing slow fill issues. I was told by Fors to change the charcoal canister which I did with no change. I just subscribed hoping to find a diagram for the fuel fill system. No such luck. If I can't get a diagram then the service does me no good. Can you help??
Category: Ford
Expert:  jim replied 6 years ago.

Here is the test procedure you will need to do in order to isolate the problem. Most of the times there is a screen in the lower part of the neck that needs to be cleaned.

Disconnect evaporative canister located in rear of vehicle above spare tire.

If you can now fill fuel tank, fault will be in canister vent valve or plugged canister.

If fault is still present, disconnect all evaporative lines from fuel tank one at a time, if you can fill tank with any of them disconnected, fault will be in that line.

If the tank still cannot be filled, fault will be in the tank or filler neck

Hope this is helpful..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there no where I can find diagrams for the system?? If I remove the spare tire will I see this canister? The service tech at Ford said nothing about this canister. I suspected that there was something in the filler neck and will try that first.