Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance

1993 ranger: flushed..radiator..sending unit..temperature gauge

Customer Question

My 1993 Ranger won't heat up. I've put in 2 different thermostats, drained and flushed the radiator, new heater core, new temperature sending unit and still no heat. The temperature gauge won't rise above the "C" and the heater blows cold air.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 6 years ago.
If you have replaced the thermostat,flushed radiator,replaced heater core, then I would say your problem must be the clutch fan is stuck and is pulling to much air thru the radiator. To test it with the engine cold it should spin 3 to 5 times when spun by hand. If it is not free wheeling when engine is cold then this is your problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not the fan. Could it possibly be the water pump impellers rusted off so the water doesn't circulate?
Expert:  Chuck replied 6 years ago.

Yes it could be but unless you are in some rather cool climate that would tend to cause it to overheat. However if your weather there has been rather cold then it could be a possibility.

Unless you have access to a coolant flow meter the only way to tell would be to remove it and inspect the impellers.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It has been very cold here the last couple of weeks.I'll try the water pump.Thanks.

Expert:  Chuck replied 6 years ago.
sounds like a plan good luck hollar back if you need more info.