RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience
19037865

i have an 05 ford f250 6.0 power stroke diesel and having problems

i have an 05 ford f250 6.0 power stroke diesel and having problems starting it in the morning on a cold day also the truck is sputtering when i am driving it like it is miss firing i need someone to shine some light on this situation i dont know if it is fuel injector problem or injector problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a scan tool? Does the check engine lamp stay on? How many miles ? Any repair history including maintenance in the last year?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have 42,659 miles on my truck took it to a mechanic and they cold me code 611 which is fuel injector module but they are not sure and i dont have check engine light on i have changed the oils and had the heads studed because they had stretched
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
OK Great thats what i was looking for, the 611 is typically caused by a failing FICM. This will cause a hard start and rough running. THis may also cause damage to injectors, so one or more may have been damaged. Testing of the ficm must be done with a scantool by monitoring specific parameters that would indicate a failing transformer internally of the module, please note replacement of the ficm also requires programing of the new module this can be performed by the dealer and some aftermarket shops so find out if your shop of choice is equipped to perform this before taking it to them to finish the diag. If the shop you had it scanned at was not familiar enough with the 6.0 i would advise finding a repair facility who has some experiance with the 6.0 or else you are going to pay for him to learn at your expense. LEt me know if i can be of more help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will this also cause my truck to sputter and break up do you think that i might have done damage to the injectors or changing the module will cure the problem i dont want to spend the money for nothing injectors is a big job and expensive everyone is taking me for a ride from mechanics to the dealers
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
I would have the ficm tested and replaced first and see if the injectors are ok. There is no way to tell until after the ficm is replaced(if it fails the tests) . I gota tell ya diagnoseing the 6.0 takes experiance,expensive diagnostic equipment(no 99.95 scanners) , and lots of patience and time. This is why they are epensive to repair. Then there is the parts cost the parts are also very expensive . I can see why you feel you may be being taken. Hopefully this will help you. I would like to tell you to just put the ficm in but i cant, it needs to have the remaining tests performed to verify. Also make sure the fuel filters are changed every 15,000 as low fuel pressure will also cause damage to the fuel injectors.
RJ, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So from all the stuff that i have told you that my truck is doing you also think that the problem is the ficm they are the ones that told me code 611 but again i was not sure maybe they were taking me for a ride i needed a second opinion so from your experience thats what you would do first
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
Yes . But have someone with a capable scanner monitor these parameters to verify the ficm is failing: FICMLPWR, FICMVPWR( +12 VOLTS) FICMMPWR (WITH TRUCK RUNNING UNDER LOAD) NO LESS THAN 47.5 VOLTS. IF the ficm mpwr drops below 47.5 then the ficm has failed and needs replaced. If the mpwr does not drop then the ficm is not likely the concern. Note there is also a updated program for the ficm to help prevent injectors from sticking but this will not change the ficm mpwr if it is low. Thankyou