Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,

2000 Ford Contour: fuel pump..a volt meter) I..tank

2000 Ford Contour: No Fuel pressure
I have replaced the fuel pump. I have power at the pump (from checking with a volt meter) I have checked to make sure the pump will run outside the tank. But when I put it all together the pump does not run and gives no pressure. If I use starting fluid the car will start and even idle for quite a while (till I press on the pedal then it will stall). I have replaced the "Fuel Pump Drivers Module" with one from a junk yard. Even then I am still getting power at the pump but it doesn't run. And thoughts?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford expert replied 6 years ago.

You may have a faulty fuel pressure sensor, you'll need a scanner to read the data into the following tests so we can pinpoint this problem let me know what you find.

Tests/Procedures:1. Monitor fuel pressure through the scan tool using the Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) sensor voltage and pressure reading. 0 PSI will be approximately 0.5 volts from the sensor. At 40 PSI, the sensor reads about 2.8 volts and when the pump is running at 100% command, the sensor should indicate greater than 4.5 volts.

2. Access the Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) located in the trunk and install a jumper wire between the Black (BK) wire at pin 2 of the FPDM and the Brown/Yellow (BN/YE) wire at pin 3 leaving the FPDM connected.

3. Turn the ignition switch to the run position. This should cause the fuel pump to run at full speed and make the fuel pressure at the fuel rail read 70(+) PSI.

4. If the fuel pressure does not come up at the rail, replace the fuel pump.
Potential Causes:Fuel Pump
Tech Tips:The inertia switch feeds the FPDM battery voltage on a Green/Orange (GN/OG) wire whenever the ignition switch is in the Run position. The FPDM feeds the fuel pump battery voltage on the White/Black (WH/BK) wire and controls the pumps ground with a duty cycle signal on the BN/YE wire.