Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience

how to change a fuel pump on a 96 ford diesel 7.3 liter

Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 6 years ago.
Hello, Do not remove the turbo to replace the lift pump. I know that every manual ever made for this truck says to do it. I have changed a bunch of these mechanical pumps, not once have I removed the turbo. You can get to the fuel line bolt on the back of the pump with a box end wrench (1 1/4 or 1 5/16 can't ever remember which one). It will be a slow process, but will be much faster than removing the turbo, and you will not disturb the troublesome "Y" pipe gaskets. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so after i take out the bolt on the back of the pump will the banjo lines disconnect off the pump
Yes, the banjo will stay in place, and the bolt will come out the rear. Be careful not to loose the seal washer that is on each side of the banjo. The banjo fitting and the fuel lines can stay in place while you remove and replace the pump. Thanks