Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

2000 Ford Taurus: battery light indicator is on..dashboard..alternator

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus DOHC 24v. My issue is that battery light indicator is on from the dashboard. So I replaced the battery, serpentine belt, and bought brand new alternator which was tested by Kragen before installing it. I used multitester to checked voltage on battery when my car is idiling and the battery is not being charged. So I'm really frustrated why the new alternator isn't charging the battery. What else could be my problem? Please advise and thanks for any help!!
You might check fuse 126 in the battery junction box, if that is good you would need to check the power to the alternator with the wires off the alternator to see what you have there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thanks for your advice. I will be checking those items. This is the first time using this website so I hope my transaction went through...
Yes it did, thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked all fuses as you suggested and are all fine. I intend to have my car service at the Ford Dealership. Can I just tell them to have the wiring harness replaced to avoid any further diagnostic fees? Hope you can offer any free advice...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is the Voltage Regulator in the alternator itself or is it located somewhere in the engine?
If the fuses are good the problem is most likely a wiring issue but replacing the harness to the alternator would be very expensive so I would just get it properly diagnosed and repaired. The regulator for this is part of the alternator.