John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience

My transmission wont shift into overdrive..OD..drives

My transmission won't shift into overdrive. With OD on, it sounds like it kicks out of gear when it shifts into OD, but with OD off it drives just fine. I just changed the filter and fluid today, so what do you think the problem might be?

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accurately.

If when in od when it goes to shift into 4th gear it feels like it is going into neutral then you have a worn direct clutch in the transmission. To repair this you will need to remove the transmission and overhaul the unit. If the transmission is just sticking in 3rd gear and not going into neutral you have a sticking od servo regulator valve in the valve body and you will need to remove the valve body and free the valve up. It is common for the overdrive servo clip to break and jam that valve causing the problem. Have had several 04 models with this problem. If this is the case you will also need to replace the clip for the od servo. You will be able to get to this once the valve body is out.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask, it's what I'm here for!

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can recieve payment. Feedback is very

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

Thank you,

John Mc

JustAnswer Expert