lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

2002 Ford Explorer: you remove the ignition cylinder

Customer Question

How do you remove the ignition cylinder on a 2002 Ford Explorer. I can not move the switch either way but can remove the key from the cylinder.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider, if the key wont turn in the ignition, then the tumblers in the key cylinder have malfunctioned and the key cylinder will have to be drilled out and a new one built and installed, if you use one from a parts house the keys will have to be programed to the truck, and that will mean a trip to the dealer anyway, so the best bet is to have the dealer build you a cylinder and install it that way the ignition keys will still fit the doors, but you can try this and if it works it wont work over and over, remove the plastic covers on the steering column and just under the key cylinder, take a small hammer and tap on the housing where the key cylinder slides into the steering column while trying to turn the key, sometimes the tapping will jar the tumblers back into place, if that don't work, then its the drill.

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the hammer works how do I get the cylinder out?
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

Here is the procedure:Hope this helps.

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder - Functional

Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute.
  1. Remove the screws and the instrument panel steering column cover.
  1. graphic

2. CAUTION: Do not use a prying device to detach the shift lever boot or damage to the shrouds may result.

Detach the boot from the shrouds.
  1. graphic
  2. Remove the screws and the steering column shrouds.
  1. graphic
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector.
  1. graphic
  2. Remove the screw and the PATS transceiver.
  1. graphic
  2. With the key in the ACCESSORY position, depress the ignition lock cylinder release pin and remove the lock cylinder.
  1. graphic
  2. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Verify the ignition switch lock cylinder operation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I meant to ask you what do I do if the hammer DOESNT work. How do i get the cylinder out. In other words the cylinder wont turn to the accessory position.
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

thats where the drilling gomes in, here is that procedure,

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder - Non-Functional

Removal and Installation

1. graphic

Detach the boot from the shrouds.
  1. graphic
  2. Remove the screws and the steering column lower shroud.
  1. graphic
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector.
  1. graphic
  1. graphic

2. CAUTION: Do not allow the drill bit to make contact with the column housing or damage to the housing will result. If there is damage to the housing a new column must be installed.

Use a 3/16-inch diameter drill bit to drill out the lock cylinder retaining pin and remove the ignition switch lock cylinder.
    • Discard the lock cylinder.
    • Remove the drill shavings from the steering column (3C529).
  1. graphic