Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

2001 Ford ranger 4x4: illuminate..lo..checked fuses..it controls

I have a 2001 Ford ranger 4x4. The 4x4 transfer switch on the dashboar does not illuminate any of the postions when turned to either 4x4 hi or lo? checked fuses, but not sure which fuse is actually the power source for the 4x4 switch or the motor it controls.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Tahnks for using Just Answer, first thing to check is the CJB (Central Junction Box)or interior fuse panel for fuses 35 (15A), 10 (7.5A). (see diagram below). Hope this helps you out.

Transfer Case — Electronic Shift

The four-wheel drive electronic shift-on-the-fly feature electrically shifts the vehicle transfer case between 2WD, 4WD HIGH, and 4WD LOW. The system mode is selected by the operator through the mode select switch (MSS) on the instrument panel. The operator is informed which mode the system is in by two instrument cluster indicators: one for 4WD HIGH which appears as 4WD HIGH, and one for 4WD LOW, which appears as 4WD LOW. Shifts into 4WD HIGH can be made at any speed. When shifting into 4WD HIGH with the vehicle stationary, tooth blockage may occur preventing shift completion. When the vehicle is driven above 8 km/h (5 mph) the shift will complete. When shifting in or out of 4WD LOW, the four-wheel drive (4WD) control module requires that the vehicle speed be less than 5 km/h (3 mph), the brake pedal be applied, and the transmission be in NEUTRAL (automatic transmission) or the clutch pedal be depressed (manual transmission).

The transfer case shift motor is mounted externally on the transfer case. It drives a rotary cam which moves the mode fork and range fork within the transfer case between the 4WD HIGH, 4WD LOW, and 2WD range positions.

The four-wheel drive (4WD) control module controls the transfer case shift motor that shifts between 4WD HIGH, 4WD LOW, and 2WD modes.

The 4WD control module accomplishes shifts by interpreting inputs from the following:

• mode select switch (MSS)
  • vehicle speed signal
  • encoder plate position
  • brake pedal switch
  • digital transmission range (TR) sensor
  • ignition switch
  • transfer case shift motor

Based on these inputs, the 4WD control module controls the shifts into 2WD, 4WD HIGH or 4WD LOW with the following outputs:

• shift motor (clockwise)
  • shift motor (counterclockwise)

Inspection and Verification — Electronic Shift

1. Visually inspect the following for obvious signs of mechanical and electrical damage.

Visual Inspection Chart

Mechanical Electrical
  • Axle shafts and universal joints
  • Driveshaft and universal joints
  • Fluid leaks
  • Matching tire size
  • Battery junction box (BJB) fuse:
    • 1 (50A)
    • 3 (50A)
    • 13 (20A)
    • 30 (10A)
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuse:
    • 28 (7.5A) (manual transmission)
    • 10 (7.5A)
    • 11 (7.5A)
    • 5 (15A)
  • 4WD control module
  • Wiring harness
  • Mode select switch (MSS)
  • transfer case shift motor
  • Connector(s)
  • Circuitry

1. If the concern remains after the inspection, connect the diagnostic tool to the data link connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel and select the vehicle to be tested from the diagnostic tool menu. If the diagnostic tool does not communicate with the vehicle:
  • check that the program card is correctly installed.
  • check the connections to the vehicle.
  • check the ignition switch position.
  1. If the diagnostic tool still does not communicate with the vehicle, refer to the diagnostic tool manual.
  1. Carry out the DATA LINK DIAGNOSTICS test. If the diagnostic tool responds with:
  • CKT914, CKT915 or CKT70 = ALL ECUS NO RESP/NOT EQUIP,
  • NO RESP/NOT EQUIP for 4WD control module, go to Pinpoint Test B.
  • SYSTEM PASSED, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs and carry out the 4WD control module self-test.
  1. If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to the 4WD Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index to continue diagnostics.
  1. If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, carry out the Electronic Shift Function Test.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

-Are the fuses ok?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked the fuses. All appear OK. In your original response you indicated fuses 35 and 10. In the Interior Fuse panel, there is no 35 installed. Also checked fuses 1, 13, and 30 in BJB. There was no #3 installed.
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

you must test the fuses with either a test light or a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) which both can be purchased at your local auto parts store. I am sending you the test procedures in pdf format, hope this helps you out.

graphic
View Full Image

CLICK HERE FOR TEST PROCEDURES

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas