Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger and my O/D indicator light flashes

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger and my O/D indicator light flashes on and off. Is this an indication of transmission problems. I have noticed some slippage when the transmission is trying to shift, particularly when accelerating after a stop. Could this be a major concern?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

Yes, this can be a major issue. The flashing light is telling the driver that the computer is seeing a slip in the trans. This will more than likely set a code in the computer. Here are some things to check first.

Check the trans fluid level and condition. If the level is low, fill it to level.
If the fluid is discolored and smells bad, more than likely there is an internal issue to the trans and will need to be diag and possibly rebuilt.

Be sure all the connectors going to the trans are tight and clean. Repair as needed.

Most trans shops will test for codes and do pressure tests on the trans for FREE!

You may want to get this looked at soon, or it can leave you stranded. Plus if you catch it early enough, it might save you money on the rebuild.