Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
17659378

2002 Explorer XLS: transmission slips..2nd and 3rd gear..TSB..costly

My daughter has a 2002 Explorer XLS with 4WD. The transmission slips between 2nd and 3rd gear and may be related to TSB 03254. What is the remedy for this and is it costly?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

The tsb you posted has be superseded to tsb 04-24-17.

The way to confirm this is to try and adjust the intermidiate band to 10 ft lbs,if the 10 ft lbs can not be achieved then the band is broken and would need to be replaced. The transmission would have to be removed to do this. If the band is not broken then once you achieve the 10 ft lbs you would adjust the band by turning out on the adjuster 2 full turns. If this does not solve the concern then the problem may be the servo piston(this applies the band) bore is worn and this requires a sleeve installed into the case to correct this.

Here is a copy of tsb 04-24-17

Printable View (10 KB)
TSB
04-24-17
  • 5R55W TRANSMISSION - NO 3RD GEAR OR SLIPPING 2-3 SHIFT - DTCS P0733 AND P0745 - VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 3/4/2002
Publication Date: November 29, 2004

FORD:2002 EXPLORER
MERCURY:2002 MOUNTAINEER

This article supersedes TSB 03-25-4 to update the description for labor operation "B". There have been no changes made to the TSB procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles built prior to 3/4/2002 with 5R55W transmission, may exhibit no 3rd gear or slipping 2-3 shift with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0733 and P0745 present. This may be due to a broken intermediate band.

ACTION:

If the conditions described are verified:

• Follow Service Procedure "A" to confirm band is broken.
  • Follow Service Procedure "B" after verifying a band is broken.

Per Procedure "B", if a broken band is found replacement of both the OD and intermediate bands and pistons will be necessary. However, only an inspection of the direct clutch drum may be necessary. The drum should not be replaced unless damage is found.

NOTE:THIS ARTICLE DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY OTHER CONDITIONS OR COMPONENTS THAT MAY CAUSE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS AND IS ONLY WRITTEN TO COVER THESE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

PROCEDURE "A" - BROKEN BAND VERIFICATION

CAUTION:WHILE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE DO NOT ALLOW BAND ADJUSTMENT SCREW TO BACK OUT. BAND STRUT COULD FALL OUT OF POSITION.

1. Loosen the intermediate band locknut on the band adjustment screw.
  2. Using the special service tool (307-S022), tighten the suspect band adjustment screw to 10 lb-ft (14 N-m).
    1. If the band adjustment torque cannot be achieved, both bands will need to be replaced. Proceed to PROCEDURE "B".
    2. If the proper torque is achieved, the band is OK and does not need to be replaced. Proceed to Step 3 of PROCEDURE "A".
  3. Lubricate the locknut seal with petroleum jelly prior to installation.
    1. Remove the band locknut and discard.
    2. Install a NEW band locknut.
    3. Using the special service tool (307-S022), tighten the band adjustment screw to 10 lb-ft (14 N-m).
    4. Back off the screw exactly two (2) turns and hold that position.
    5. Tighten the intermediate band locknut.
    6. Hold the band adjustment screw stationary.
    7. Tighten the band locknut to 40 lb-ft (54 N-m).
    8. Continue with normal diagnosis and repair for the condition as outlined in the Workshop Manual.

PROCEDURE "B" - VERIFIED BROKEN BAND

NOTE:REPLACEMENT OF THE EXTENSION HOUSING SEAL AND BUSHING ARE NOT REQUIRED. DO NOT DISASSEMBLE BEYOND THE DIRECT CLUTCH ASSEMBLY. ALL SUBASSEMBLY STEPS ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR THIS PROCEDURE.

Using the following procedure, replace the bands and servos. Inspect the direct clutch drum and replace ONLY IF DAMAGED.

1. Remove transmission assembly, refer to the Workshop Manual Section 307-01.
  2. Following the Workshop Manual steps found in Section 307-01, remove and discard the front and intermediate bands and the front and intermediate servos.
  3. Remove the direct clutch drum.
  4. Inspect the direct clutch drum for scoring or damage, DO NOT REPLACE THE DRUM UNLESS IT IS DAMAGED. For replacement procedures, refer to the Workshop Manual Section 307-01 (Automatic Transmission, Disassembly and Assembly of Subassemblies Direct Clutch Drum Assembly).

NOTE:DO NOT DISASSEMBLE BEYOND THE DIRECT CLUTCH ASSEMBLY. NO OTHER SUBASSEMBLIES NEED TO BE DISASSEMBLED.

5. Following the Workshop Manual, reassemble the transmission and install BOTH NEW service bands (7D034), a NEW intermediate servo piston and rod assembly (7D021), and a NEW front servo piston and rod assembly (7D021). ONLY IF DAMAGED INSTALL A NEW DIRECT CLUTCH DRUM ASSEMBLY (7D044).
  6. Install the transmission assembly, refer to the Workshop Manual procedures found in 307-01.
  7. Verify the condition has been corrected.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
5L2Z-7D034-AABand Intrmd & Front (2 Req'd.)
1L2Z-7D021-CAIntrmd Pstn/Rod Assy
4W4Z-7D021-KAFrnt Pstn/Rod Assy
1L2Z-7D044-CADirect Clt Drm Assy
XW4Z-71000-AABand Locknut (2 Req'd.)
W703119-S300Servo Cover Seal
W702969-S300Servo Cover Seal

Here is a tsb on repairing the servo bore.

Printable View (39512 KB)
TSB
09-12-12
  • 5R55S/5R55N/5R55W TRANSMISSIONS - SHIFT CONCERNS, LOSS OF 2ND, 3RD AND 5TH GEAR, INCORRECT RATIO DTC'S - PROCEDURE TO INSPECT AND REPAIR SERVO PIN BORE WEAR
Publication Date: June 11, 2009

FORD:2002-2005 Thunderbird
2005-2009 Mustang
2002-2009 Explorer
2007-2009 Explorer Sport Trac
LINCOLN:2002-2006 Lincoln LS
2003-2005 Aviator
MERCURY:2002-2009 Mountaineer

ISSUE:

Some 2002-2009 Explorer, Mountaineer, 2007-2009 Explorer Sport Trac, 2002-2006 Lincoln LS, 2005-2009 Mustang, 2002-2005 Thunderbird and 2003-2005 Aviator vehicles equipped with a 5R55S, 5R55W, and 5R55N transmission may experience shifting concerns. A loss of 2nd, 3rd and 5th gear, may have overdrive band or intermediate band failures due to servo pin case bore wear causing reduced apply pressure.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

For transmissions that have been determined to require an overhaul or rebuild and the overdrive band or intermediate band have excessive wear or burned/damaged band friction material, the cause maybe excessive servo pin case bore wear generally found on higher mileage vehicles, usually accompanied with incorrect ratio diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), condition becomes worse when hot. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 09-12-12

In our instructions, when we refer to the overdrive bore, we are talking about the smaller bore located closest to the bell housing. When we refer to the intermediate bore, we are talking about the larger bore located next to the line pressure tap.

Inspect and repair the worn-damaged transmission case servo pin bore utilizing the Rotunda Tool 5RW Master Kit part number NRL5RW servo pin bore repair system (1-800-768-8632 option 6).

1. Install the drill jig into the case by setting the jig into the case servo bore. Retain the jig in the case with the servo's snap-ring. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 09-12-12

2. Drop the 9/16" guide into the jig. It doesn't matter which one of the lands on the guide you use, as long as one of the lands is under the 3/8" Allen screw.

NOTE:CUTTING OIL MUST BE USED FOR LUBRICATION. THE USE OF SUBSTITUTES, PARTICULARLY ATF, MAY RESULT IN AN OVER-SIZED BORE.

3. Ream out the bore using the 9/16" reamer, applying ample lubrication.

NOTE:DO NOT REAM ABOVE 500 RPM. (Figure 3)

Figure 3 - Article 09-12-12

4. Replace the 9/16" reamer guide with the 5/8" guide, and the 9/16" reamer with the 5/8" reamer.
  5. Ream the bore out using the 5/8" reamer with ample lubrication. Take care not to either push too hard on the reamer or turn the reamer faster than 500 RPM when reaming. Either one can overly enlarge the bore, causing a loose bushing.
  6. Clean the case before proceeding to Step 7. This kit utilizes two different bushings.
    1. The shorter bushing is for the intermediate servo and is identified by a flat ground in the bushing's hat. (Figure 4A)
    2. Overdrive servo bushing. (Figure 4B)

Figure 4 - Article 09-12-12

3. Both bushings are chamfered and need to be installed with the recessed edge up (away from the valve body).

7. Apply Loctite® 680 Retaining Compound or equivalent to the outside of the bushing and drive the bushing in by hitting the driver until the bushing bottoms. (Figure 5) The 5RW kit uses a smaller diameter installation tool identified by a groove cut in the handle.

Figure 5 - Article 09-12-12

8. After installing the bushing, using a 15/64" bit, drill a hole in the side of the bushing by following the servo apply holes in the case 5R55S case shown.
    1. Overdrive servo. (Figure 6)

Figure 6 - Article 09-12-12

2. Intermediate servo. (Figure 7)

Figure 7 - Article 09-12-12

NOTE:FAILURE TO PERFORM CROSS DRILL STEP IN THE NEW BUSHING WILL RESULT IN A NO SHIFT CONDITION.

9. Insert the provided sizing pin into the bore. It maybe necessary to start the pin in the bushing with a rubber mallet. Once the pin is inside the bushing, use a punch to drive the pin all the way through the bushing. Repeat as necessary. (Figure 8)

Figure 8 - Article 09-12-12

Correctly installed bushings will be flush inside of case. (Figure 9)

Figure 9 - Article 09-12-12

The 9/16" and 5/8" reamers require typical maintenance and cleaning of aluminum build up on the cutting edges to help provide optimum bushing installation and increased tool life.

After bushing installation, thoroughly wash the case before rebuilding transmission.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Information Only

Both of these can be rather expensive. The band would the most inexpensive one but again the transmission would have to be removed and disassembled. Depending on how many miles you have on this vehicle you may need to consider an actual overhaul which may cost around $1900 on this vehicle. Now if the bore is worn then you would need to research price here because you may now get into the 2200 to 2300 range and since repairing your trans would only carry a 12 month/12000 mile warranty.You can install a reman assembley for pretty close to this price and it would carry a 3yr 100k warranty.

Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance