lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

I had a new battery put in my 2004 ford explorer.The same day

I had a new battery put in my 2004 ford explorer.The same day my check engine light came on and i had it coded said it was my idol.Took it to a mechanic thought he fixed it but obviously what he did didnt work.My light is back on and the idol still is not right.Do you know how or what is causing this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider, the problem is with the electronic throttle body assembly, when the battery was replaced the PCM lost its memory, when trying to build a new one there is a concern with the carbon deposits in the throttle body, the PCM needs to be re-calibrated and possibly the throttle body replaced, here is a service bulletin for the concern, the down fall is you will have to take the truck to the dealer for the calibration update. hope this helps.

TSB
09-4-2
  • 4.0L - DTC - P0505 / P0506 / HESITATION / LOSS OF RPM / DIFFICULTY STARTING / LOW IDLE RPM
Publication Date: February 13, 2009

FORD:2004-2005 Explorer
MERCURY:2004-2005 Mountaineer

ISSUE:

Some 2004 - 2005 Explorer and Mountaineer vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms: drive-away hesitation, loss of RPM on deceleration, difficulty starting, and/or idle RPM less than desired. Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may be illuminated with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0506 and/or P0505. These conditions may appear after battery disconnect, dead battery condition, or keep alive memory (KAM) reset. The symptoms may be due to engine deposits in the throttle leading to airflow less than desired.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 58.14 and higher or 59.4 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2009.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. The calibration contains a sludge compensation strategy for the throttle body.
  2. Turn the key off to re-initialize the PCM. This will allow the sludge compensation strategy to learn.
  3. With the vehicle in park or neutral and A/C off, start vehicle and allow engine to reach normal operating temperature (greater than 170 °F (77 °C) coolant temperature). Run an additional 5 minutes to allow sufficient learning time.
  4. While the engine is running, using IDS datalogger or equivalent, check the PID value of ETC_TRIM.
    1. If ETC_TRIM value is 3.5 degrees, and/or DTC P115E is present, then replace the electronic throttle body (ETB)
    2. If ETC_TRIM value is less than 3.5 degrees and DTC P115E is not present, but drivability concerns persist, the ETB is not the likely cause of the concern and replacement is not necessary. Continue with normal Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual diagnostics.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
9W7Z-9E926-AThrottle Body Assembly

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.