EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified
18136160

Clutch..rattling..The plate on the front of the compressor is loose

My a/c clutch is rattling. The plate on the front of the compressor is loose. What is the procedure for repair in this case?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.
If the clutch is coming apart do you nedd instruction how to replace the clutch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know, is the clutch coming apart or is there a loose bolt(s) that can simply be tightened? Too little space for me to tell.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

There is only 1 bolt on the clutch, it is highly unlikely it has loosen up.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On your sent image, the clutch disc and hub (#2) feels loose. The three bolts that form a triangle on that disc feel loose. Are they bolts or other? Why would they feel loose?
Expert:  EMRSR replied 4 years ago.

The 3 that form the triangle are not serviceable bolts. #2 is drawn to #5 by #6. You need a clutch. I have attached the instructions, it is really a relatively simple but time consuming task. You can rent/borrow the tools from most parts stores like an Auto Zone. Print this on first viewing in case it times out. You will need help on the evac and recharge.

Service and Repair
Notes

CLUTCH AND CLUTCH FIELD COIL

Special Tool(s)

Special Tool(s)

Removal

1. Remove the A/C compressor.

1. Remove the A/C clutch disc and hub retaining bolt.
1Hold the A/C clutch disc and hub with the special tool.
2Remove the bolt.
  1. Remove the A/C clutch disc and hub.

1. Remove the A/C compressor pulley snap ring.

1. Remove the A/C compressor pulley.
1Install the special tool.
2Remove the A/C compressor pulley.

1. CAUTION: Do not use air tools. The A/C clutch field coil can be easily damaged. Remove the A/C clutch field coil.
1Install the special tool.
2Install the special tool.
3Remove the A/C clutch field coil.

Installation

NOTE: If installing a new A/C compressor, the A/C clutch components should be reused unless obvious signs of damage are found. If excessive grooving is found, a new A/C clutch disc and hub and A/C compressor pulley must be installed together. Otherwise, each component can be installed individually where needed.

1. Visually inspect the A/C clutch disc and hub, A/C compressor pulley and A/C clutch field coil for damage.
    • Inspect for physical damage, including cracked or melted components or discoloration due to excessive heat.
    • Inspect for excessive wear, including grooving in the A/C clutch disc and hub or A/C compressor pulley that is more than fingernail depth.
    • Inspect for roughness in the A/C compressor pulley bearing.
  1. Clean the A/C clutch field coil and pulley mounting surfaces.

1. CAUTION: Do not use air tools. The A/C clutch field coil can be easily damaged. Install the A/C clutch field coil.
1Place the A/C clutch field coil on the A/C compressor with the A/C clutch field coil electrical connector correctly positioned.
2Place the special tool on the A/C clutch field coil.
3Place the special tool 412-065 on the special tool 412-078.
4Use the special tool to install the A/C clutch field coil.
  1. NOTE: The A/C clutch pulley is a tight fit on the A/C compressor head. It must be correctly aligned during installation. Install the A/C clutch pulley.

1. Install the A/C clutch pulley snap ring with the bevel side out.
  2. Place 1 nominal thickness A/C clutch hub spacer inside the clutch hub spline opening.
  3. Install the A/C clutch disc and hub assembly.

1. Install the A/C clutch bolt.
2Install the bolt.
  • Tighten to 13 Nm (10 lb-ft) .

1. Measure and adjust the clutch air gap by removing or adding A/C clutch hub spacers.
  2. Install the A/C compressor
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience: 20 years with Ford, Master Certified