Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience

1999 ford taurus SE: power steering..the fluid overflows even though I

I have a 1999 ford taurus SE with a power steering problem. When started the pump makes a lot of noise and the fluid becomes "frothy". When I shut the engine off, the fluid overflows even though I have insured the level is within limits. I have replaced the pump thinking that was the problem. Still does the same thing. When I try to turn the wheel the pump squeals and the wheel is hard to turn. When the pump was replaced, I jacked up the front end and turned the wheel to stop in both directions to expel any air. Still does the same thing. Need an expert opinion.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 4 years ago.
Hello, There are two ways to bleed the air out, the best way, is with a vacuum pump on the resevoir, to suck out any air. Not many have this tool though. An alternative method, that works very well, is this. Raise the front wheels, Start the engine and turn the wheels fully from side to side untill the steering wheel hits the turn stops both ways about 4 times. Then with the engine still running, turn the wheel until it hits the turn stop on the right turn direction. While holding the steering wheel against this stop, turn off the engine. Let the car sit for 15 minutes with the wheel in this position. After the time has passed, top off the fluid and start the engine, then turn the wheel to the left stop, and turn off the engine. Let it sit about 15 minutes again. Then top off the fluid, and repaet the procedure again. After the second procedure is completed, turn the wheels straight ahead with the engine running, turn off the engine, let it sit for about 5 minutes and top off the fluid. This should fix your air problem. Also, make sure you are using Mercon3 or MerconV type fluid. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already tried this, but it still has the same problem.
What type of fluid are you using, and did this start after a repair, or did it just start happening?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am using O'reilly power steering fluid, which conforms to the ford specs. It started all at once, and is still doing the same thing even after I replaced the power steering pump.
Your car uses automatic trans fluid, not power steering fluid in the steering system. Also, does it leak any fluid from any of the hoses?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are NO leaks except for the back flow coming out of the filler cap when the engine is shut down. So, If I evacuate the system and put in new Mercon V, then try removing all the air, it should be OK?

Here is the procedure straight from the Ford sevice manual, it does require a vacuum pump to perform.Thanks

Purging Power Steering System of Air

NOTE: If the air is not purged from the power steering system correctly, a second customer concern or pump failure could result. This condition can only occur on pre-delivery vehicles with evidence of aerated fluid or vehicles that have had steering component repair.

A whine noise heard from the power steering pump may be caused by air in the system. The following procedure must be performed whenever any of the following are performed:

• All power steering noise complaints with evidence of aerated fluid on pre-delivery vehicles only, prior to any component repair.
  • After any power steering system component (for example, gear or hose) has been replaced and the noise is heard.

Fluid Level Top-Off Procedure

1. Check and fill pump reservoir to dipstick full cold or remote reservoir center mark.

1. Disable ignition by removing Fuse 10 in the fuse junction panel.

1. Crank engine 30 seconds, check fluid level and add if required.

1. NOTE: Do not hold steering wheel on stops.

Crank engine 30 seconds while cycling the steering wheel lock to lock.

1. Check fluid level and add fluid if required.

Air Purge with Vacuum External Source Procedure - 3.0L (2V) Engine, Flex Fuel and 3.4L SHO Engine

1. Tightly insert the rubber stopper of the air evacuator assembly into pump reservoir.

1. Reinstall Fuse 10 used to disable ignition and start vehicle.

1. Apply 20-25 in-Hg (85-88 kPa) maximum vacuum for minimum of three minutes at idle; maintain maximum vacuum with vacuum source.

1. Release vacuum and remove vacuum source.

1. Add fluid to full warm or reservoir center mark.

1. Reinstall vacuum source and apply 20-25 in-Hg (85-88 kPa) vacuum.

Cycle steering wheel from lock to lock every 30 seconds for approximately 5 minutes.

1. Shut engine off, release vacuum and remove vacuum source.

1. Add Motorcraft MERCON Multi-Purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid if necessary and install dipstick or reservoir cap.

Start engine and cycle steering wheel from lock to lock every 30 seconds for approximately 5 minutes.

1. Check for oil leaks at all connections.

1. In severe cases it may be necessary to repeat air purge with vacuum source procedure.

Air Purge with Vacuum External Source Procedure - 3.0L (2V) and 3.0L (4V)

1. Add Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent to approximately 2.5 cm (1 in) (make a mark) above the top of the supply line.

1. Tightly insert the rubber stopper of the air evacuator assembly into the pump reservoir.

1. Apply 85-88 kPa (20-25 in-Hg) maximum vacuum for a minimum of three minutes.

1. Add Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent until the level is at the marked point.

1. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 until the fluid level stabilizes.

1. Check reservoir level and add Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent to the FULL WARM (MAX) mark.

1. Install the number 10 fuse in the fuse junction panel. Start the engine.

1. NOTE: The front wheels must be off the floor during lock-to-lock rotation of the steering wheel.

NOTE: Do not hold the steering wheel on stops.

Reinstall the vacuum source and apply 85-88 kPa (20-25 in-Hg) maximum vacuum and cycle the steering wheel from lock-to-lock every thirty seconds for a minimum of 5 minutes.

1. Shut the engine off, release the vacuum and remove the vacuum source.

1. Add Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent to the FULL WARM (MAX) level. Install the dipstick or reservoir cap.

1. NOTE: Do not hold the steering wheel on stops.

NOTE: In severe cases, it may be necessary to repeat air purge with vacuum source procedure.

Start the engine and cycle the steering wheel from lock-to-lock every thirty seconds for approximately five minutes.

1. Lower the vehicle front end.

Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience