Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

1999 Ford Ranger XLT: 3.0L..DTC..Module..38 deg F, but dash temp gauge

1999 Ford Ranger XLT w/ 3.0L V-6, Auto Transmission, & A/C. DTC P0118 Module $10 Engine Coolant Temp Ckt High Input, & DTC Pending P0125 Module $10 Clsd Loop Fuel Cntrl Insufficient Coolant Temp. Scanner shows temp 198 to -38 deg F, but dash temp gauge shows temp always normal. Possible solutions ??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

This vehicle uses two seperate sensors, one for the guage and one for the computer. So it sounds like the one for the guage is working but the one for the computer needs to be replaced. Here are instructions to replace if that does not work you will need to check for resistance, open wire, or shorts between sensor and computer. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I Deposited $19.50 for two questions in order to save money. The price for one question was $13.00. I have only asked one question. Why is it showing for me to accept payment of $19.50?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, with no reply as to why "Status: Awaiting Expert Reply Value: $19.50" is showing $19.50 for two queations rather than $13.00 for the one & only question that I asked, I will ask another question. With an answer to a second question I will not mind paying the two question price. Where is the sensor for the gauge & instructions for changing it?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
The engine coolant temperature sensor is located next to the thermostat housing. The instructions to replace are in the above diagram. You can email info@justanswer.com to tell them to change the price from $19.50 to $13.00. Let me know if there is anythign else I can do to help, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Initially you said there are two temp sensors--one for the gauge & one for the computer. You implied with your text portion of your answer & showed with the instructions that the coolant temp sensor for the computer is located next to the thermostat housing. My second question is "Where is the sensor for the dash gauge? Your answer to my second queation is "The engine coolant temperature sensor is located next to the thermostat housing." Are you now saying there is only one engine coolant temperature sensor which is for the computer & the gauge, or are you not understanding my second question which is--Where is the engine coolant temperature sensor for the dash gauge?

If there are two separate coolant temperature sensors, & the one for the computer input is next to the thermostat housing, "where is the engine coolant temperature senor that provides the signal for the dash mounted temperature gauge?

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

One is a temp sensor one is called a temp sender. Here is a picture location and replacement instructions. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you provide me with pin test procedures & schematics to check the circuits for these two temperature sensors? I would be willing to pay you more for your time.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Here are wire diagrams but since you said the guage works like it should I think the problem is the engine coolant temp sensor or possibly the wiring. You can monitor resistance with engine cold and start engine as as the engine warms up the resistance should steadily change if not replace. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database