Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

1994 Ford Econoline: tuned..hesitation or miss when crusing..It pulls

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Ford Econoline 150 conversion van with the 5.8 n\engine. It was just tuned up but still has a hesitation or miss when crusing. It pulls fine and has lots of power. The mechanic says I need a new Pcm, computer, and hall effect sensor to fix this problem. Please advise if this seems right.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX what codes are you recieving in the computer? Is the vehicle stalling?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The mechanic said there was nothing on the diagnostic computer that gave them any indication of a problem. The engine does not stall and accelerates great and does not miss while accelerating. It only does it when crusing at a steady throttle. It feels like some one is pushing a clutch on a regular rythem every 3 seconds just enough to stop driving the van then releasing it again.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 years ago.
When you say regular rythym, is it exactly rythmyc, or does it do it, then wait ,then it does it twice in a row ,more random?Does it do this hot and cold?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's very regular and does it on level ground as well as on up and down grades. There are times when it goes away for short periods then comes back. it is less noticable at higher speeds but is still there.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 years ago.
Does it feel that it could be transmission related, does it only do it in high gear, or does it do it in all gears, or with convertor locked up?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The transmission was my first thought but the mechanic said they checked every thing that they could and do not belive it is in the trans. The said they have experianced this befor and were shure it was in the computer but thier computer did not show any thing at all while they were testing which lead them to belive that there was something wrong in the computer that it didn't even register the problem. I belive it does it in all the gears but I haven't tried to drive it any distance in a lower gear.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 years ago.
Ok i am goning to opt out and let another expert reply to this since I have not experienced anything like this. Thanks Steve W