Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1991 Ford F150 XLT: Lariat..4x4..5.0..automatic..wont start

I have a 1991 Ford F150 XLT Lariat 4x4. 5.0, automatic, 160000 miles. Had intermittent starting problems and now turns over but won't start (backfires). A friend tried starting fluid and still backfired without starting. PLEASE HELP!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Does it finely start or just back firing?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just backfires. Last time it was running, I would shut it off at a gas station and sometimes it wouldn't start right away. Now it just won't start.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Because its backfiring, I would rule out spark and I would start with checking the timing chain as if it has jumped, it will cause this type of problem. Line you #1 cylinder( drivers side first cylinder) with top dead center on the compression stroke and the balancer on TDC and look at the rotor in the distributor. If the timing is correct the rotor will be pointed right at #1 on the cap.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Timing checks out with #1 as it should be.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Ok then I would recheck the firing order as well as try removing the SPOUT connector and see if it starts. It would also be a good Idea to run a complete compression test on all cylinders. Also, what kind of fuel pressure do you have?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No idea. I'm not equiped for that kind of testing. I did find the coil is loose inside the bracket. (i.e. the round part wiggles in the square part) The battery is too low to keep cranking for now so I have to let it charge and re-check the spark, it seems weak.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
A loose coil will nor effect the coil but a backfire usually means eaither a lean condition and or a timing issue. Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

When the ignition is turned on, you can gear the fuel pump start and a "hiss" in the fuel rail at the engine. The timing mark is lined up with #1 as near top as I can get by eyeball, on compression. Another "backyard mechanic" friend is telling me to give up because the cam is wiped out. Is this a possibility?

Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is a very good possibility, thats where a compression test would come in handy.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sounds like I need to retire the rustbucket. Engine rebuild is more than it's worth.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

If its a rust bucket then you are likely making a smart decision, a new engine and or overhaul may be way more than its worth.