Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

i have a 2001 ford taurus and all signs show a bad alternator

i have a 2001 ford taurus and all signs show a bad alternator but 2 of them i have installed test fine what else could this be?

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

What signs are you seeing?

Have you tested the alternators on the car?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes had both tested off the car and the sign im seeing is the car will run on the battery and dies when unhooked and the dash has the battery and brakelight on when running also only running ant about 8.5 volts as of now when tested at the battery

You are going to need to have the alternator tested on the car, if you are sure the alternators are good then you will need to see if you have the proper power supply to them when the engine is running.

There 2 fuses you need to check if they are good , have the alternator test on the car.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how can i test it on the car? i tried when it was running but i couldnt get a reading also are there other fuse blocks on the car besides the one under the hood becuse i cant find one

You can take it down to most any major part store and the can run a charging system test. I would also have a look at the 2 fuses that control alternator.

I have marked the fuses you need to check

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the problem is getting it to a parts store. anyway u know of i can find out for myself? i always just test the battery when its running and if its 14vdc or more then the alt is working but it drained one battery and when jumped it dies as soon as u remove the jumper cable. sorry for the bother but im looking for any part i can replace and im hoping its not a wiring issue
If you are getting 14 volts at the battery while it running then the alternator is working just fine. If its dying when you remove the battery cable, then its eaither not charging or the alternator is bad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ya ill just have to put an alternator back in it and check those fuses and ill get back to u

Sounds like a good plan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

u dont have a print out of what fuses do what do u?

They are marked in the picture I sent you 2 threads up.. The fuse number and location is right there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok sorry another ? tho i just noticed a fuse that looks like it is between the battery and alternator and when i test it i have nothing on the alternator side and i have the remaning voltage from the battery in the battery side could that fuse be bad? would that cause the problems im having?
Yes thats likely and or the connection at the fuse is bad. Sounds like you are gettting close to nailing this. All three wire in the diagram have to be hot (12 volts)

Edited by Ron on 12/22/2009 at 8:22 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok im going to check that out ill get back to u thx
Your very welcome, thank you as well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

that was it! thanks

Great Job, Thank you very Much as well. Merry Xmas to you and yours as well.