Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2003 Lincoln Town Car: heated seat on the drivers side quit working.

Customer Question

Have a 2003 Lincoln Town Car. The heated seat on the driver's side quit working. For a couple of weeks my right thigh would get so hot that I had to turn the heat off. Now I've got nothing. The lights still work on the switch and the passenger seat works fine
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like your problem is the heated seat module, you will need to remove the seat to replace the module otherwise the heated seat element itself could be the problem. You will need to see if voltage is making it to the heater elemend on the seat if so replace the element if not replace the module. At the driver's heated seat module, disconnect the harness connector. Check the resistance between pin 6 Yellow/Light Blue (YE/LB) and pin 7 White/Light Blue (WH/LB). This will check the resistance of the seat heating element and typical resistance is about 1-5 ohms. If the resistance shows high, suspect a bad heating element which is most often the case. If the element checks good, check for battery voltage in to the module on the Light Blue/White (LB/WH) wire at pin 12 from fuse F1.7 30A in the engine compartment fuse box. Check for ground on pin 1 Black (BK). If the power and ground are OK, reconnect the module. Back probe the YE/LB and WH/LB wires for the heating element and turn the seat heater on, set on the high position. There should be close to battery voltage between the two wires. If not, suspect a bad module. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I simply swap modules with the passenger seat and see if that works?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
That would work but its a pretty big job to remove the seats and swap would probably be easier to do the testing with a voltmeter. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.