chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

Repair heat control head f150 no floor heat

repair heat control head f150 no floor heat
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

If you had a vacuum problem ,,the only position that the system would work is defrost ,, so i do not think you have a vacuum problem ,,,,

It could be the control head ,,, or one of the vacuum motors is bad ,,, this is what happens when you solect the floor mode

When FLOOR is selected:

• The air inlet door vacuum control motor is at no vacuum, admitting only outside air into the passenger compartment.
  • The panel/floor door vacuum control motor is at full vacuum and the panel/defrost door vacuum control motor is at no vacuum, directing airflow to the floor duct. A small amount of airflow from the side window demisters will be present.
  • The temperature can be adjusted to heat the air, but air cannot be cooled below the outside air temperature.
  • The A/C compressor will not operate.
  • The blower motor is on.

based on the above ,,,two doors have to operate to make the floor mode work,,, the floor/panel motor has vacuum ,,,,,,and the panel/ defrost has not vacuum ... so you said that everything else works ok,,,,,,,so this mean we can rule out the panel/ defrost vacuum motor ,,,,, so the only motor we have to check out is the panel/ floor motor ,,,, and see if it has vacuum when in the floor mode ...

so if you pop off the panel on the center lower of the dash ,,, see pic

graphic

and from the drivers side , you should be able to access this motor and see if the hoses are conected and if the motor has vacuum , or working ,,

any more info ,,just ask , we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

so once you access this vacuum motor ,,, and the you have the system on floor the Yellow vacuum line should have vacuum ,,,, if it does not ,,then you know that the head is bad ,,, if you do ,,,then there may be something wrong with the vacuum motor

Vacuum Applications Chart-Electronic Automatic Temperature Control

Switch PortColorFunctionManual Override Selector Buttons
OFFMAX A/CVENTPNL/ FLRFLOORFLR/ DEFDEF
2RedPanel/ defrostNVVVVNVNVNV
3BluePanel/floor (partial)NVNVNVVVVNV
4BlackSourceVVVVVVV
5WhiteOutside/ recircVVNVNVNVNVNV
6YellowFull floorNVNVNVNVVNVNV

V = vacuum

NV = no vacuum

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I popped off the lower center panel cover and now for some reason, when the control is set to floor, there is only flow to defrost. When control is set to floor/def. there is pretty good flow to floor and less to def. When control is set to panel/floor, floor flow is improved. I was unable to identify the vacuum motor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think I ever received an answer to my first follow-up. To repeat: I popped off the lower center panel cover. When control is set to floor/def. there is good flow to floor and less to def. When control is set to floor, there is only flow to def.
Expert:  chris replied 4 years ago.

Ok ---what you are telling me proves that you system is able to give air to the floor but when floor only is selected the air distribution is wrong,,, this tells me the doors are working and there is no leaks ,, but the thing that is telling the doors what to do is bad ( the control head ) ... so it does sound like they are right ,,, the control head had an internal problem ,, Now I have never heard of any one opening one up and repairing one ,,, I have looked inside one and there is no easy fix to it ,,, you have to replace the unit ,,, and they are expensive $250-$350 .. but its very easy to replace on your own

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience