Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

4X4 wont engage on 2006 f150

4X4 wont engage on 2006 f150

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Before I can help you, I will need to know:

• Does the 4x4 light come at all when switched to 4x4 high? Does it come on in 4x4 low?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The light doesnt come on at all in 4 high or 4 low and you hear no sound or shifting.

What tends to happen with the F150 is the IWE Solenoid (Integrated Wheel End) will go bad causing the no 4x4. This solenoid engages the front hubs and almost all F150's have the solenoid go bad. Unfortunally to test the system the 4x4 module should be checked for trouble codes which would need to be done with a Ford scan tool. But if you want, you can just change the solenoid and check for proper operation. The solenoid is located on the firewall next to the battery. It has 2 vacuum lines going to it along with a 2 wire electrical connector.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I replaced the IWE Solinoid on Saturday and it did not fix the problem. Is the only other option taking it to a dealership and getting overcharged just for a diagnosis?.
I replaced the IWE Solinoid on Saturday and it did not fix the problem. Is the only other option taking it to a dealership and getting overcharged just for a diagnosis?

Hello Bjenson

I'm Chris, Thanks for allowing me to help you here on Just Answer.

Different expert here

Since the light is not even coming on when selecting high or low this concern is a faulty shift motor on the transfer case. This is very common and there is even a TSB for this concern.

If this helps please reply and say" I accept Chris" so the correct expert gets credit.

graphic

Edited by Chris (aka- Moose) on 12/22/2009 at 2:54 AM EST
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience