Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

2003 Ford Taurus SE: light comes..the drivers door..goes away..mi

I have a 2003 Ford Taurus SE, the door ajar light is coming on, locks are randomly locking and unlocking on their own, and the interior light comes on until I stop the car, slam the drivers door, and it goes away for about 15 seconds and starts all over...... is there a sensor or switch in the lock mechanism of the driver door that has gone bad? I have notice that the locks are not activating when I put the car in drive and start to pull away any longer. Car has 102K mi. on it but runs like new. Would like to resolve this issue ASAP. I await your professional help.

HiCustomer

Thanks for using Just Answer, the most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective door ajar switch, try spraying some WD40 on the switches and see if that works, if not then you will have to have switches replaced. I am sending you instructions in pdf format, hope this helps you out.

CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Shawn,

Thankyou for the info on resolving the Door Adjar Switch. If I understand you correctly this is located on the drivers door correct? Should I use Silicone VS. WD40 since this is an electrical component? What am I trying to accomplish by spraying the lock with a lubricant? Do I need to direct my spray to a certain site in the lock mechanism?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Shawn, thank you for your valuable insight as to what is going on. When I spray into the lock mechanism is there a particular location I should be trying to his with the lubricant? Should I use silicone vs WD40 since this is an electrical issue?

To remove the Door Adjar Switch I will need to remove the lock mechanism on the drivers door correct?

I await your response....

Thanks.

HiCustomer

Usually over time, they start to stick and then fially stop working all together, try using WD40 in the latch assembly (see below)

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I want to be sure I understand you correctly, spray in the drivers door lock mechanism? Or do I need to do all the door on the car?

HiCustomer

No , just the latch mechanism, if that doesn't work then more than likely the switch is bad and will need to be replaced.