Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience

1999 ford windstar: Lx..3.8l..idle when warmed up..tack

1999 ford windstar Lx 3.8l engine.
rough idle when warmed up. and tack is not working.
thanks Lorn
Hello, have you checked the system for any trouble codes? If you have any codes it would be a great help to know what they are. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

there are no codes comming up on the dash. no check engine light comming up

the van has 145,000km on it (87,000 ) miles.

Does the van run ok other than the rough idle? How does it start when its cold, is it hard to start, start right up, long cranking or smoke? thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

other then the rough idle it runs great. starts fine runs great at hi idle,no smoke.

just idles rough when it comes off hi idle. like it is idleing to low with a slight shake.

Thanks Lorn

Try this, put the trans in drive, and slightly rev up the engine see if it smooths out or if it still runs rough.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

it smooths out in drive with slight presure on the gas.

thanks Lorn

Does the engine feel like it is running too slow at idle? If you dash has an rpm gauge, what is it reading at idle? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the rpm gauge is not working (tack) and yes i think it is idling a little to low.

thanks Lorn

If it is idling too low and has no codes, I can suggest to replace the idle air control valve. But this will only be a suggestion. I cannot say it will fix your car, simply because I have no trouble codes to back up that suggestion. Here is a picture of the valve I am refering to. It is located on the intake manifold near the throttle body. Thanks