johnt
johnt, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  27 years experience foreign and domestic

2000 Ford Taurus: fuel pump..ran fine..the fuel filter..more fuel

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2000 Ford Taurus and just changed the fuel pump. It ran fine after I changed it and now after about a week it will start then ackts like it does not get gas and shuts down. I changed the fuel filter under the car and was wondering if there was any more fuel filters? Or do I need to take the tank out again and check the pump?

Clay
Category: Ford
Expert:  johnt replied 4 years ago.

It is very possible to get a bad fuel pump , especially some of the cheaper aftermarket

stuff. The only fuel filters are the one you changed and the sock on the pump.

Here are a some things to check .

First the fuel pump relay. Swap it with a similar relay and see if the problem goes

away.

If you have access to a fuel pressure guage , connect that and see if you are in

fact loosing fuel pressure.

If you are loosing fuel pressure , (pump stops working ) try the following, this

should determine if the new pump is bad.

1. Locate the fuel pump driver module to the right of the rear seat cushion (pull the cushion to access it) and monitor voltage across the White/Red and Black/Pink wires to the fuel pump from the fuel pump driver module. If there is more than 7 volts across these wires while cranking, and the wires are OK from there to the pump, replace the pump. Also, if there is battery voltage out of the driver module on the White/Red wire, and the Black/Pink wire is jumped to ground, the fuel pressure should be over 60 PSI. If less, that confirms a bad fuel pump.

2. If battery voltage is present on the White/Red wire, but the driver module does not ground the Black/Pink wire while cranking, check Ground G302, which is the Black wire to the driver module, and grounds on the right (passenger) side of the trunk, behind the wheel well.

Note: If you get as far as dropping the tank again , take a close look at the plug to

the fuel pump. Make sure the connections are good and no signs of heat at the

plug.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Witch relay is the one for the pump? The computer was reading 38psi spicking to about 55 then dropping off fast when starting. I have the wagon model is the wire still under the seet. I see the relays up under the hood with the fuses. I am not sure witch one is for the pump. I have the computer reader is there any thing els I can look at to check it out? I realy don't want to have to take the tank out one more time. It is half full the last time it only had a few gallons in it.

Thanks

Clay

Expert:  johnt replied 4 years ago.

Here is the location of the fuel pump relay.

Yes , it should be in the same location.

You can also check the fuel pressure regulator,

pull the vac . line off and see if there is fuel there.

pressure regulator is on the fuel injector rail.

graphic

Edited by johnt on 12/13/2009 at 2:00 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will have to look at it when I get home from work.

Clay

Expert:  johnt replied 4 years ago.

Ok , let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi I changed the fuel pump and still have the same problem. Is there anything further down the line that could be cloged, I see some sort of silver item on the fuel line. up in the engine compartment. Please I need help I need to get this car back on the road.

Clayton

Expert:  johnt replied 4 years ago.

The silver item on the fuel rail is probably the fuel pressure regulator. That is what

i previously suggested you take the vacuum line off to see if fuel was there.

graphic

see if the car will start if you spray carb cleaner into the intake while someone

cranks it over.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The engine starts on its own without spraying carb cleaner but acts like it runs out of fuel and shuts down. After I changed the pump the second time it would stay running but if I gave it gas it would shut down like it is starving for gas. There is a small shrader valve on the fuel line that if I press down on the valve I get gas out. Could it be the regulator? There is pressure on the fuel line when I take the inlet side of the fuel filter off.

Clayton

Expert:  johnt replied 4 years ago.

You need to check actual fuel pressure at the schrader valve not by the scan tool.

We need to find out if this is a fuel issue or not.