RICHE
RICHE, Ford Technician
Experience:  OVER 13 YRS OF FORD DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE, SENIOR MASTER TECHNICIAN, TEAM LEADER
27396768

2002 Ford Explorer: the heater air comes..ac..vents..defrost..easy fix

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and the heater air comes out the ac vents. It won't change to defrost or heater. Is this an easy fix or complicated and expensive?
Category: Ford
Expert:  RICHE replied 6 years ago.
WHAT IS HE SAYING IS WRONG WITH IT?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He says that one of the doors is not working or the accentuator (I think that's the right word) is bad. He was under the dash for about 2 or 3 minutes with the car running turning the control knobs to different positions. When you do that the air only comes out of the AC vents. It won't turn to heater or defrost. I'm sorry I don't have much more to go on than that.
Expert:  RICHE replied 6 years ago.

ALL YOU GET IS COLD AIR AND NO HEAT COMING OUT OF THE VENTS? IS THAT RIGHT? WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR DEFROST?

ALSO CAN I GET YOUR FULL VIN# XXXXX I CAN RUN IT ON FORDS SYSTEM?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When we turn the control knob to heater only, and the temperature knob all the way to red or hot we get hot air coming out of all of the AC vents. It does the same when you turn the control knob to defrost. It won't change the direction of the air flow at all.
The AC works fine it is brand new, nothing wrong with the defrost, there is just no air flow to it when you put the directional control knob on defrost and also on heat. The air gets hot when you turn it to hot, and cold when you turn it to cold. We just have no directional control to change the direction of the air flow from AC vents to Heater/Defrost or Heater vents.
Expert:  RICHE replied 6 years ago.
THIS IS A 4DR EXPLORER RIGHT?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a 4dr explorer 4wd
Expert:  RICHE replied 6 years ago.
OK THERE DIAGNOSIS IS CORRECT BUT THE PRICE IS TOO HIGH. AT MY FORD DEALERSHIP THE COST OF THE ACTUATOR AND CHAMBER/DOOR FOR BOTH IS $362.16 W/O TAX. THE LABOR WE WOULD CHARGE WOULD BE 5HR AT 85.00 PER HOUR WHICH WOULD BE $425.00. PARTS AND LABOR AT OUR FORD DEALER WOULD BE $787.16 W/O TAX. I WOULD CALL AROUND AND SEE IF YOU COULD GET A BETTER PRICE. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO FOR YOU? PLEASE ACCEPT MY ANSWER SO I CAN GET CREDIT FOR MY WORK. THANKS RICH
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Richie, is there two different actuators and doors? I am being told at the Dealer there are two and they will need to put a scope in system to see which one it is. thanks
Expert:  RICHE replied 6 years ago.

THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT DOORS. ONE IS THE BLEND DOOR THE OTHER IS THE MODE DOOR THE BASE# XXXXX XXXXX TELL THE DEALER YOU NEED A PRICE ON THAT BASE PART# XXXXX

Expert:  RICHE replied 6 years ago.
DID YOU GET THE PRICE? WAS IT THE SAME AS OURS?