RICHE
RICHE, Ford Technician
Experience:  OVER 13 YRS OF FORD DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE, SENIOR MASTER TECHNICIAN, TEAM LEADER
27396768

2005 f150: supercrew..wont shift..four wheel drive

my 2005 f150 supercrew won't shift into four wheel drive when i flip the switch. Neither 4 hi or 4 low. possible problem? solution
DO THE 4X4 INDICATORS GO ON AND THEN OFF WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY ON?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes they do when I turn the truck on
HOW OFTEN DO YOU USE 4X4? WHEN YOU TURN THE SWITCH TO 4HI NOTHING HAPPENS? NO 4HI LIGHTS ON DASH?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ususally only during the winter.... Haven't used it for 6 months. When i turn the switch nothing happens. No light turns on.
CAN YOU TRY TAPPING ON THE TRANSFER CASE SHIFT MOTOR WITH A HAMMER. THIS IS MOST LIKELY YOUR PROBLEM. DOES IT WORK NOW?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not in a position to try that..... In at work...

THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT. IT NEEDS A TRANSFER CASE SHIFT MOTOR. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE DONT USE THEM THEY STICK. AND WITH ALL THE WATER AND DIRT GETTING INTO THE CONTACT PLATE ON THE MOTOR IT MAKES IT NOT WORK. WHEN YOU DO REPLACED IT YOU NEED TO ENGAGE 4X4 ATLEAST ONCE A MONTH IF NOT MORE JUST TO KEEP EVERYTHING FREE AND NOT STICKING. THE COST OF A TRANSFER CASE SHIFT MOTOR AT MY DEALERSHIP IS $252.73 W/O TAX AND THE LABOR IS $34.00 TO HAVE IT INSTALLED (OUR LABOR RATE IS 85 PER HOUR) IT IS REAL EASY TO REPLACE. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO FOR YOU? PLEASE ACCEPT MY ANSWER SO I MAY GET CREDIT FOR MY WORK. THANKS RICH