RICHE
RICHE, Ford Technician
Experience:  OVER 13 YRS OF FORD DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE, SENIOR MASTER TECHNICIAN, TEAM LEADER

A transmission not shift out of first gear goes in to rev goood and in

Customer Question

why would cause a transmission not shift out of first gear goes in to rev goood and in to drive good
Category: Ford
Expert:  RICHE replied 4 years ago.
WHAT DID THE FLUID LOOK LIKE AND SMELL LIKE WHEN YOU CHANGED THE FLUID? WHAT HAPPENS DOES IT TRY TO SHIFT AND GO TO NEUTRAL OR JUST DOESNT SHIFT?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it was ok the fluid that is yes it goes in first gear and when rpm get up to were it should shift it goes in to like a nutrel and when you slow back down it goes back in first
Expert:  RICHE replied 4 years ago.
DID IT SMELL BURNED WHEN YOU CHANGED IT?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it didn,t it was still red but not as bright red as new fluid
Expert:  RICHE replied 4 years ago.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU MANUALLY SHIFT IT TO SECOND DOES IT STILL GO TO NEUTRAL?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i was driving it if you put it in drive it slip to the out of gear or nutrel but when i trie to shift it manualy it stays in first preety good even a high rpms but it still won,t shift manuly
Expert:  RICHE replied 4 years ago.

DOES THE TRANS GO INTO GEAR RIGHT AWAY WHEN YOU PUT THE CAR IN DRIVE? HOW ABOUT REV?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes goes both ways pretty good
Expert:  RICHE replied 4 years ago.
WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING IN THE (D) POSITION IT WONT SHIFT TO 2ND BUT GOES INTO NEUTRAL AND WHEN YOU MOVE THE SHIFTER TO MANUAL 2 IT GOES TO NEUTRAL ALSO?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it wait till the rpm goes up or about 25 miles per hour , it s like neutral at the shift point but when you slow back down goes back in to first
Expert:  RICHE replied 4 years ago.
UNFORTUNATELY YOU HAVE AN INTERNAL TRANS PROBLEM. THERE IS EITHER A PROBLEM IN THE VALVEBODY OR SOMETHING CAUSING THE INTERMEDIAT CLUTCH PACK TO NOT APPLY. THE TRANSMISSION WILL HAVE TO COME OUT AND APART TO BE FIXED. THEY SHOULD STILL BE AVAILABLE AS A REMANUFACTURED UNIT AT YOUR FORD DEALERSHIP BUT THEY ARE EXPENSIVE BUT GIVE YOU 3YR 100K MILE WARRANTY. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO FOR YOU? PLEASE ACCEPT MY ANSWER SO THAT I MAY GET CREDIT FOR MY WORK. THANKS RICH
RICHE, Ford Technician
Experience: OVER 13 YRS OF FORD DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE, SENIOR MASTER TECHNICIAN, TEAM LEADER
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was afraid of that , one last thing the speed control sensor would it do this
Expert:  RICHE replied 4 years ago.
NO THE SENSOR WOULD HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT GOING INTO NEUTRAL WHEN IT SHIFTS. A REBUILD WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN A UNIT. SORRY THAT I HAD TO GIVE YOU THE BAD NEWS. THANKS RICH