Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure

I have a 94 Explorer and the fuse for the blinkers, heater

I have a 94 Explorer and the fuse for the blinkers, heater blower/fan and rear defrost keeps blowing. It is the same fuse for all. The fuse blows after 30 seconds to 3 mins of the vehicle being started. Fuse blows without using any of the items listed. I've also disconected the blower motor to see if that was causing the problem and the fuse still blows. Any ideas or other things to help diagnose or check? Thanks.
good afternoon and thank you for choosing JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be the technician assisting you with your concern. Could you please inform me which fuse number it is that blows? with that information i can pull up the wiring diagram and review the powerflow circuit of that fuse's circuits and advise you where the fault may lie.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, the fuse panel is under the dash and the cover and book that comes with the car which should identify the individual fuses has never been there. Therefore, I have no way of knowing. I even checked my repair manual, but they only have the fuse board diagram for 95's and newer.
i have posted the fusebox diagram for you, please print it out and possibly laminate it and put it in your glove compartment. This might be usefull for you in the future. Would this help you identify the fuse number to advise me which one it is?graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Fuse number 5 is the one that keeps blowing. Any suggestions?
please allow me a few minutes(5-10 minutes) to review all wiring diagrams associated with fuse 5 and i will advise you what you can do to isolate the short . i will reply to you promptly
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sounds good. I'll need you to be specific about how to isolate this prob.

i have included the wiring diagrams as an aid for you during your testing. Fuse 5 feeds power to rear window defrost switch, turn signal flasher(in the inside fusebox), daytime running lamp module(if equipped located near the left headlamp-see image below), trans range sensor(located on transmision), as well as the blower motor relay(located in the underhood fusebox). I suspect ,since it doesn't blow untill a few minutes after being started, that the short might be in the wiring under the vehicle where the harness runs to the trans. I would inspect the harness underbody for any spots where it might be rubbing on the transmision, on the frame or any other grounded metal surface. If the initial inspection of the wiring doesn't prove any obvious faults, then i would unplug each component in the circuit one at a time and see if the fuse still blows, once the fuse stops blowing then likely the last component you unplugged is at fault and you should reconnect it to see if the fuse blows then, if so then replace that component.

location of DRL module

wiring diagram for fuse 5 power distribution

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, after accepting the report stays open for further questions, if you need further assistance please ask,

Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to recieve credit for my work. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are appreciated & would make my day.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks man. The wire to the tranny was melted onto the pipe coming off the exhaust manifold. I'll be accepting payment to you after I send this. Thanks again.