Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

major oil leak somewhere near the top..my 2004 6.0 diesel..quart

Customer Question

i have a major oil leak somewhere near the top of the motor on my 2004 6.0 diesel. i talking about a quart per minite. runs down the front and the back of motor while running only. can't see where it is coming from
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Hello Coryfz

I'm Chris, Thanks for allowing me to help you here on Just Answer.

The first place to start looking is going to be the oil filter cap and housing sitting in the top center of the engine. There is alot of oil which flows in and out i nthe center of the engine so it may require you cleaning it up and idling the engine and looking while up on top of the front clip looking down. Here is a ford file showing the oil flow in the engine to help is determining the origin and part needed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
are there any parts that can leak like that that have some sort of cover over them. i have looked down at the motor while it was running and the oil filter area looks good. it seems to flow down the front of motor before the rear but once it starts flowing it looks the same all around.
The oil cooler housing under the filter has a large cover over it which cant be seen easily and would allow for front loss more than the rear. The high pressure oil pump in the rear of the valley (called the fuel injection pump) has a cover as well. In that file I sent it shows everything pretty clear.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
moose, the valley under the oil cooler is filled to the top with oil. can the oil cooler leak into the valley under it or is it a bad oil cooler cover gasket or is it possible that oil can be pushed up thru that vent tube that is in the valley. can the oil cooler be leak tested off the engine
Yes the cooler can be tested off the vehicle, as for where its leaking from you still must clean it all out and then run it and watch, I cant see it so I dont know where its coming from.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

moose, i do not accept that half answer.you did NOT answer it completely.

thanks for your time anyway

Sorry I was of no assistance to you.