Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2004 Ford Ranger: driving down the highway..4WD 4.0 lost power

When I was driving down the highway my 2004 Ford Ranger 4WD 4.0 lost power all of a sudden. The lights were still on, but the engine turned off and the accelartor was not responding. I pulled over and waited a few minutes and it started back up. I did this 5 more times. On the 5th time my truck did not start back up. I try to start my engine up and it makes the sound like it wants to start up but never does. Some have told me it might be the altinator, others say it might be that the engine is not getting fuel. What do you think it might be?
Submitted: 6 years ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

A bad alternator can cause this type of problem because once it stops charging, the battery will go dead and then you have no voltage for the ignition or the PCM. I would start with having the charging system tested as well as the battery.