RICHE
RICHE, Ford Technician
Experience:  OVER 13 YRS OF FORD DEALERSHIP EXPERIENCE, SENIOR MASTER TECHNICIAN, TEAM LEADER
27396768

2004 Lincoln Navigator: Nav..warning lights..rear end..diagnostic

Must be a Lincoln Navigator certified transmission mechanic or extremely experienced with 2004 Lincoln Navigator Tranmissions...

Question: 2004 Nav, 78K; I went around a corner and the transmission just stopped...no warning lights, the truck runs perfectly but when in gear does nothing (as if the rear end and transmission are disconnected).. Dealer says there is no fluid pumping through the transmission; I dont exactly trust them because when I asked what the diagnostic said ther is no fluid pumping through the system and every time I sked the price it went up..Need some help
Category: Ford
Expert:  RICHE replied 7 years ago.

DO YOU HAVE THE NAVIGATOR WITH YOU OR AT THE THE DEALER? DID YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS FROM THE TRANS BEFORE THIS?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
at the dealer and never had a problem; serviced at 73k
Expert:  RICHE replied 7 years ago.
THERE IS A WAY FOR YOU TO VERIFY WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS TRUE. START YOUR NAVIGATOR AND LEAVE IT IN PARK. CHECK THE TRANS FLUID AND IF IT IS IN THE NORMAL RANGE THE PUMP IS PUMPING BUT IF THE FLUID LEVEL IS REAL HIGH ON THE STICK IT IS NOT PUMPING. IF THE TRANS DOES NOT MOVE FORWARD OR REVERSE THERE IS AN INTERNAL FAILURE AND THE TRANS WILL NEED TO BE DISASSEMBLED TO INSPECT FOR THE ROOT CAUSE. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO FOR YOU? PLEASE ACCEPT MY ANSWER SO I CAN GET CREDIT FOR MY WORK. THANKS RICH
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Root cause...is there a typical issue that Navigators have? have you ever dealt this type of issue?
Expert:  RICHE replied 7 years ago.
IT IS NOT A COMMON PROBLEM FOR THE PUMP TO GO OUT. I WOULD BET THAT THERE IS EITHER A TORQUE CONVERTER ISSUE (SPLINES STRIPPED) OR A PROBLEM INSIDE THE TRANS. I HAVE BEEN REBUILDING TRANS FOR FORD DEALER FOR OVER 13YRS AND HAVE NOT HAD VERY MANY PUMP PROBLEMS.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would it be better to buy a used transmission online and install it (3 yr warranty) or have them fix it
Expert:  RICHE replied 7 years ago.
IF THEY FIX IT THEY HAVE TO STAND BEHIND IT FOR 12MONTHS OR 12K MILES. IF IT WAS MY NAVIGATOR I WOULD GO WITH THE USED ONE WITH A 3YR WARRANTY ONLY IF THEY WOULD COVER THE COST OF THE LABOR ALSO IF THERE IS A PROBLEM LATER ON. THE DEALERSHIP SHOULD GIVE YOU A GOOD PRICE ON A FORD REMAN TRANS THAT HAS A 3YR 100K MILE WARRANTY ON PARTS AND LABOR AND IS WARRANTABLE AT ANY FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER. IT REALLY DEPENDS ON THE PRICE OF THESE UNITS AND WHETHER THEY WILL COVER THE LABOR IF THERE IS A PROBLEM SO YOU ARE NOT STUCK PAYING THAT AGAIN.