jblair1979
jblair1979, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford ASSET graduate, 1st in my class, 2001, ASE car, truck, and medium heavy duty Master technician
23349454

I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 that has a knocking noise on the

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Lincoln LS V8 that has a knocking noise on the passenger side of the engine during idle only. When running or raving the engine, the knocking goes away. What could possibly be the cause of the knocking noise in the engine?
Category: Ford
Expert:  jblair1979 replied 5 years ago.
HowdyCustomer! The noise could be due an oiling issue, or lack of oil getting to the camshaft on that side. can you check the oil pressure? what is the oil level at? do you have a ford/motorcraft oil filter on it? I would reccommend using the ford oil filter, it has been designed for the way for doiling systems work. can you hear the noise up high, like over the engine, or only down low, like by the wheel well, or from underneigth? thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I go about checking the oil pressure? The oil level is at full. I have a motorcraft oil filter on it. I can hear the noise up high (over the engine).
do you hear it at the front of the engine, or the rear? do you have an oil pressure gauge?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is coming from the front of the engine. I do not have a oil pressure gauge. If I went and bought one, where is the service port located?
let me see if i can find you some pictures...
while i am looking for the pictures, does the tick noise get quieter as the engine gets warmer, or does is get louder as the engine warms up?

graphic

#51 in the picture is the oil pressure sending unit, remove it, and install the gauge there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the pressure suppose to be reading?
Oil pressure (hot 1,500 rpm)138-310 kPa (20-45 psi)

if your oil pressure is good, then remove the valve cover and loosen, and remove the cam caps one at a time, and remove, then reinstall, with slight pressure pushing them toward the front of the vehicle, when torquing them back down. graphic

where the black arrows are pointing,

tighten to 89 inch pounds. while the valve cover is off, shine a flash light down the front cover and look at the timing chain guides, and tensioner to see if there is any wear, or damage showing....

then retest,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did not accept this yet because I haven't solve the problem yet.

ok, let me know what we need next, thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm working on taking the valve cover off. I will use your advice and will let you know. Should I replace all gasket?
yes i would, especially if they are originals, and dont forget to use silicone sealer, at all the "t" joints, when reassembling. (where the front cover and head, and valve cover come together), thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the torque for the valve cover screws?
89 inch pounds
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had open the valve cover and the timing chain and tensioner looks good. I did notice that the plastice guide had a chip. It didn't dook like it would affect the timing chain. I closed everything back up and turn on the engine and it's still making the knocking noise. It's also throwing a P0174 code. What's next?

p0174 is lean, bank 2, (drivers side) could be from vacuum leak, lack of fuel, timing...., when you had the valve cover off, could you tell if the timing chain tennsioner was holding tennsion on the chain??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The tennsioner was holding tennsion on the chain. I replace the mass air sensor and check for vacuum leak. There's no leak. If I choose accept, will you still be able to help me out with this question?
i can, and i do want you to accept, but you do not have to until we fix it....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Fuel pressure is good and there is no vacuum leak. Another thing is when the car is park and I press on the gas, it gets to about 3k RPM and bog out. It will star to shake, but when I drive it, there is no problem getting pass the 3K RPM. Is this usual on a Lincoln?

yes, this is the pcm protecting the engine, there is no need to rev it up that high in nuetral, just a built in safety feature. when you ahd the valve cover off, did you try to re-position the cam caps like i told you, on 12/8/2009?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I did. They didn't move much at all.
did you ever get the oil pressure checked? i dont guess i saw if you posted it...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's one thing that I forgot to do. Do you have a better picture of the service port?
the one i posted was the best one that i could find. basically you remove the oil pressure sender and install the pressure tester there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Will this cause an oil leak?

yes it will leak some oil, when you remove the sender, but if your ready with the pressure gauge to screw in, in its place, you should not loose too much.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Non of the auto store has an oil pressure guage. Where can I get one?
you could goto you local mech shop and ask one of the mechanincs for the local tool guy's phone # XXXXX give him a call, or you could try sears, if there is one close by. all the auto parts stores, and none have one to buy, or rent? wow! i am sorry!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They only carry fuel pressure guage.
ok, what about sears, or the local tool guys that goto all the local shops to sell tools? if you cannot find one in either of these possibilities, then you can get online and order one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oil pressure was 36. Oil was leaking from the oil pan and I went ahead and replace the gasket. The noise was gone for about two days and came back. The car is also shaking like it's misfireing during idling, but when i drive it, it's drive very smooth. What can I do next?
Expert:  jblair1979 replied 4 years ago.

have you checked the crankshaft dampner? to sse if it is coming apart? also what shape are the motor mounts in? what weight oil are you putting in it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I haven't check the crankshaft dampner yet. The motor mounts are in good condition. I'm using 5W30. I think that one of the valve is loose, because now as i speed up the noise gets lounder and faster. If that's the case, what is the sequence for the valve adjustment?
there is not a valve adjustment....with the valve covers off, try to move the valves back and forth, see if you have a worn valve guide...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So all the valves are install at the same height? I know in the Honda each valves has a different height.

yes all the valves are all the same height
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could this cause the car to shake like it's mis firing?
if a valve guide was worn, it can actually cause a vacuum leak, and it can allow oil to be sucked into the cylinder, and it can foul the plug.....making it missfire....also, if the valve guide is worn, the valve may not be seating correctly, which can cause a miss....and let me correct my earlier statement; the intake valves are all the same, and the exhaust valves are all the same, so the intake, and exhuast valves are different, as sets, but they are not all individually different.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you have any good pictures of the valves, both set?

in or out of the heads? i will have to look around, but let me know specificly what you need, thanks,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
in the head.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I find that the valve guide is worn, do I have to change out the whole head?
you should be able to take the head to a machine shop, and have them "rebuild" it. they can press out the worn guide, and press in a new one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok! I'll get back with you. Thanks!
ok, thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took the valve cover off and it looks like I'm going to have to take out the cam shafts in order to check the valves. That means that I'm going to have to undo the timing chain to move the cam shafts. What kind of tools do I need to get the timing chain off and is there any precautions that I need to know?

you can search ebay for the ford/rotunda tools, let me get the #'s. do you have the head off?

here are the special tools to use, once the head is off. be careful when removing the cams, loosen the caps evenly, so the cam does not break.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had the valve cover off only. I already got everything back together and took it to get a diagnostic check and they said that it's showing miss fire on cylinder 1 thru 4. I don't think all the cylinder would go bad at the same time. I have just replace coil #1 & #4.

Let me restate how the knocking is made. When the car is cold during idle, no noise is heard. When the engine gets hot, the knocking noise is heard during idling and it gets lounder as you step on the gas. When the car is in motion and goes about 30mph, there's no noise at all. The car still run smooth. If I need to take the head off I will do it. It's a big job. Do you think with your help, I can do it?

of course we can!! but i am curious now...you stated that they are showing that you have miss fires on 1 whole bank....my 1st inclinations is that the timing is off....which could be spark knock, under a load, but would not necessarily show up under cruise conditions....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there a way to check to see if it is the spark knock? I also saw the timing chain plastic guide broken when the valve cover was off.

If the timing is off, how do I adjust it and is there any sequence?

well, spark knock is actually something that is caused by carbon build up on the pistons, that gets hot during combustion, and causes pre-detonation=noise=spark knock. you could remove a spark plug and shine a light dn in the hole and see if you can see black build up on the top of the piston.

ok, now, with the broken timing chain guides, your timing could be off, ...i thought we had already discussed that eariler?? back on 12/14? you will need to take off the front cover, and replace the timing chain guides, then retest

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did mention it but we didn't really talk about it. I'm guessing the timing chain will have to come off in order to replace the timing chain guides, correct?

yeah. and the front cover. it can be done in the car, but it will take some doing. let me know what you want to do, thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a picture off the front of the timing chain or what it's suppose to look like? Do I need both valve covers taken off as well?
I can get you one tonight, and yes it will be much easier to have them both off.
here are a few that might help!!graphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On the last image, is the teeth suppose to line up or they are to be in the center of each grove?
i the picture indicates that they are supposed to be off set, not lined up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, thanks! I'll let you know when I get it open up. It might be a couple weeks before I get to it. I thank you for your patient.
no problem