jblair1979, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford ASSET graduate, 1st in my class, 2001, ASE car, truck, and medium heavy duty Master technician

2001 ford explorer: sohc..It has high oil pressure at points..drops

I have a 2001 ford explorer 4.0 sohc. It has high oil pressure at points and then drops to zero oil pressure. I hooked up mechanical guage and it reads high to zero pressure as well. as a sudden drop as well as engine rattles when pressure drops. We checked the oil pump and it seems to be in functioning condition as well as the pressure sender . What drive's the pump, and could this be what is causeing the drop in pressure.
HowdyCustomer! yes the camshaft turns the camshaft synchronizer, which in turn, turns the oil pump. how long has it been since the oil was changed, and has it been maintianed regularly? do you have a FORD oil filter on it? holw long has it been happening, and did it start after an oil change? if the camshaft synchro is worn out, it may not turn the oil pump effictively...