Mitch
Mitch, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Diesel Master and Engine Master. Specialize in diesel, gas engine, electrical and driveline.
19552635

The front engine cover off a 99 7.3 liter powerstroke..trick

Customer Question

Is it possible to remove the front engine cover off a 99 7.3 liter powerstroke without pulling the engine out? I know the oil pick-up tube connects to it but was wondering if there is a "trick" to make this happen? I just installed this long block and obviously didn't get a good seal on the cover under the hpop as it is leaking onto the lifter valley. f.y.i. i did indeed pull the hpop and replaced the all of the o-rings and cannot find any apparent leaks on it!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mitch replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

I have done it in the truck and it was awful! I will never attempt that again. The way it is supposed to be removed via the ford shop manual is to remove the engine. Ford does not like the fact that you are not removing the oil pan. the only trick i would say is to leave the oil pump off of the front cover when installing back on the engine so you have wiggle room around the crank when attempting to align the front cover. and there is no way to remove the oil pan on the 7.3 in the vehicle also.

there is just a seal from the oil pumo and front cover oil inlet. there is not tube to disconnect.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Confused about about the oil p/u tube as it is connected to the front cover

Expert:  Mitch replied 4 years ago.

the oil cooler on the drivers side of the engine exterior?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no the p/u tube in the oil pan from the rear sump the front cover to the low pressure oil pump
Expert:  Mitch replied 4 years ago.
that is hooked to the block and the block has a oil provision in it. the sump can only be removed with the oil pan removed. the front cover has not tube to be disconnected. remove the accessories and brackets, the oil cooler and water pump and the front cover. i even reviewed the shop manual teardown of the 7.3 and there is not tube i am sure.
Mitch, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Diesel Master and Engine Master. Specialize in diesel, gas engine, electrical and driveline.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you ,im going to give a shot with out pullin the motor. I only need to get some rtv on the top part.
Expert:  Mitch replied 4 years ago.
thank you for using just answer and please accept of satisfied