Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

How do I get the oil sensor out of my 1988 F150. I cant get

How do I get the oil sensor out of my 1988 F150. I cant get what appears to be the coppor/brass looking housing off.

HiCustomer

Thanks for using Just Answer, that is the part you must remove, try using a large set of pliers or channel locks, below are the instructions for the oil pressure sending unit replacement, hope this helps you out.

Oil Pressure Switch

Removal and Installation

The oil pressure switches are mounted in different ways and locations. The following illustrations show installation for oil pressure switches.

5.0 and 5.8 locations (see below)

graphic

4.9 liter

graphic

1. Disconnect the wire at the switch terminal
  2. Prepare the new oil switch for installation by applying Pipe Sealant with Teflon® or equivalent, or a small amount of electrically conductive sealer to the threads.
  3. Remove the oil pressure switch from its mounting and immediately install the new oil pressure switch. Tighten to 11-24 Nm (8-18 ft-lb).
  4. Connect wire to oil pressure switch.
  5. Start the engine and check the operation of the switch.

Oil Pressure Switch Unit

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there appears to be a housing over the switch, this is what I cant get off. my replacement switch is the same as in the graphics but there is a cover over it that wont come off. its circular and about 2" in diameter
what engine do you have?

HiCustomer

Try using a large set of pliers or channel locks, and then unscrew it.

Edited by Shawn on 12/7/2009 at 12:29 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is a 4.9 L fuel EFI, the deal (housing) I'm talking about is copper colored and goes in the block right behind the dip stick, is this even where the sensor is

HiCustomer

That's it, try using a large set of pliers or channel locks, and then unscrew it.

graphic

Edited by Shawn on 12/7/2009 at 12:37 AM EST