Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

2000 Ford Focus: rear wheel..wheel bearings..the nut reverse threaded

On a 2000 Ford Focus; When replacing the rear wheel bearings (drums not disc brakes) what size socket should be used to remove the spindle nut and is the nut reverse threaded.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 5 years ago.

Good evening and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be the technician assisting you today. The threads on the rear spindles are not reversed thread, the left side would be expected to be reverse thread but Ford's quality engineers weren't bright enough to figure that out. There was a recall out in '02 or so i believe which was to install a cap over the nut to keep it from spinning loose. This is an extremely old recall but it might be on your vehicle, if you can provide me a VIN number i can check for open recalls for you. If your vehicle had its spindles replaced in the past with aftermarket parts chances are that it could have the reversed thread but it its original then its standard thread both sides. As for the size of the nut, it has been a while since i have had to remove one but if i believe right it is either a 30 or 32 mm. .

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
VIN
1FAFP3437YW112661

i have located the recall information below, but it has been changed due to unavailability of the old parts, see the information below;:

Technical Information

OVERVIEW

This program is being supplemented because the service parts originally supplied for this program (redundant wheel retention cap and bolt) are no longer available and the inspection to identify loose or damaged parts is no longer required. The service procedures and parts from Customer Satisfaction Program 01B85-S2 are being utilized in their entirety for this supplement.
This document details the procedure for:

• Drum brake equipped vehicles: Installing new wheel bearings and water seal carriers onto both rear wheel hubs and installing a double-lip water seal onto both rear wheel spindles.
  • Disc brake equipped vehicles: Installing new wheel bearings and water seal carriers onto both rear wheel hubs and installing new wheel spindles equipped with double-lip water seals.

There are 3 service kits available for this program. Each kit services a different rear brake type; rear drum without ABS, rear drum with ABS or rear disc. We have supplied the bill of material for each kit to properly identify that the correct kit is being used to service the correct vehicle application.

PART NUMBER

DESCRIPTION

QUANTITY

1M5Z-4A013-VV

Rear Wheel Bearing Kit - Non-ABS Drum

1

1A154

Instruction Sheet

1

4C006

Seal, Double-Lip

2

4C007

Carrier, Water Seal

2

1248

Cap, Grease

2

3B477

Nut, Retainer

2

1238

Bearing, Wheel

2

NPN

320 Grit Paper (Emery Cloth)

1

PART NUMBER

DESCRIPTION

QUANTITY

1M5Z-4A013-WW

Rear Wheel Bearing Kit - ABS Drum

1

1A154

Instruction Sheet

1

4C006

Seal, Double-Lip

2

4C007

Carrier, Water Seal

2

1248

Cap, Grease

2

3B477

Nut, Retainer

2

1238

Bearing, Wheel

2

2B384

Ring, ABS Sensor

2

NPN

320 Grit Paper (Emery Cloth)

1

PART NUMBER

DESCRIPTION

QUANTITY

1M5Z-4A013-LD

Rear Wheel Bearing Kit - Disc Brakes

1

1A154

Instruction Sheet

1

4C007

Carrier, Water Seal

2

1248

Cap, Gease

2

3B477

Nut, Retainer

2

1238

Bearing, Wheel

2

2B384

Ring, ABS Sensor

2

4A013

Spindle, RH

1

4A492

Spindle, LH

1

NPN

320 Grit Paper (Emery Cloth)

1

WHEEL HUB REMOVAL - ALL VEHICLES

NOTE: All figures in this document, except Figures 1 and 2, show rear drum brake configuration. Rear disc brake configuration is similar.

1. Raise the vehicle and remove both rear wheels.
    • For vehicles with rear drum brakes: Proceed to Step 6.
    • For vehicles with rear disc brakes: Continue with Step 2.
  2. Remove the bolt securing the parking brake cable to the rear knuckle assembly, then disconnect the cable from the caliper. See Figure 1.

graphic

FIGURE 1

3. Remove the caliper bolts and position the caliper out of the way.
  4. Remove the brake pads from the caliper bracket, then remove the caliper bracket.
  5. Remove the brake rotor from the wheel hub.
  6. Remove and discard the grease cap from the wheel hub assembly.
  7. Remove and discard the wheel bearing retaining nut.
  8. Note: For vehicles with rear drum brakes, tension in the parking brake system may need to be released to remove the wheel hub assembly.
    Remove the wheel hub assembly from the vehicle.
  9. Repeat all steps applicable to the vehicle being repaired on the opposite side of the vehicle, then proceed to Hub Cleaning/Inspection And Wheel Bearing Replacement - All Vehicles, in this Attachment III.

HUB CLEANING/INSPECTION AND WHEEL BEARING REPLACEMENT - ALL VEHICLES

NOTE: Perform this procedure on both removed hubs.

1. If equipped, remove and discard the ABS sensor ring from the wheel hub assembly. See Figure 2.

graphic

FIGURE 2

2. Remove the circlip that retains the wheel bearing in the hub assembly. Retain the circlip for reinstallation.
  3. Using a suitable drift and press, press the wheel bearing out of the hub assembly.
  4. NOTE: If the hub is found to be excessively pitted, even after cleaning, it must be replaced.
    Using the supplied 320 grit emery cloth, remove any corrosion that may exist in the wheel bearing area of the wheel hub assembly. See Figure 3.

graphic

FIGURE 3

5. CAUTION:
    When installing the new wheel bearing into the hub assembly, be sure to apply force only to the outer race of the bearing.

NOTE: When installing the new wheel bearing into the hub assembly, the black rubber seal faces up.
    Using a suitable drift and press, press the new wheel bearing into the hub assembly. See Figure 4.

graphic

FIGURE 4

6. Install the circlip into the hub assembly.
  7. Using Rotunda Tool Handle 205-153 combined with either Rotunda Water Seal Carrier Installer 204-322 for drum brakes or 204-323 for disc brakes, install the water seal carrier into the hub assembly. See Figure 5.

graphic

FIGURE 5

8. CAUTION:
    The water seal carrier will protrude above the ABS tone ring when both are correctly installed. Use caution when installing the ABS tone ring to avoid damaging the carrier.

CAUTION:
    Use of a steel installation device may damage or affect the magnetic properties of the tone ring. Use only a non-ferrous device to install the tone ring.

NOTE: Be sure to position the tone ring squarely onto the hub, then gently tap it into place using the proper tool.
    Using Installer 308-432 or equivalent non-ferrous installation device, position and gently tap the new ABS tone ring onto the hub, if equipped.

9. Proceed to either Spindle Preparation/Inspection And Seal Installation or Spindle Replacement, based on the vehicle being repaired, in this Attachment III.

SPINDLE PREPARATION/INSPECTION AND SEAL INSTALLATION - REAR DRUM BRAKE EQUIPPED VEHICLES ONLY

1. CAUTION:
    The spindle is manufactured without a chamfer on the leading edge of the seal land, thus leaving a square, sharp corner. This corner must be removed, using the supplied emery cloth prior to seal installation, or damage to the seal will result.

NOTE: Cutting a chamfer into the leading edge is not required. Using the emery cloth to remove the sharp corner from the leading edge ensures the seal can be installed undamaged.

CAUTION:
    The seal land must be sanded with the supplied emery cloth to remove any burrs and as much corrosion as possible.
    • If the spindle is not pitted or corroded, the leading edge of the seal land must still be sanded or seal damage will result.
    • If the spindle is excessively pitted or corroded, even after sanding, it must be replaced.

NOTE: It is expected that a very small percentage (less than 3%) of spindles will require replacement due to corrosion/pitting concerns.
    Using the supplied 320 grit emery cloth, sand the spindle as described above. Remove any corrosion or burrs found on the wheel spindle. See Figure 6.

graphic

FIGURE 6

2. CAUTION:
    The double-lip water seal is prelubricated. Do not apply any lubrication to the double-lip water seal or the spindle before, during or after installation. Added lubrication may cause the double-lip water seal to unseat during vehicle operation.

NOTE: The double-lip water seal is oriented in the protective cap correctly for installation. Do not separate the double-lip water seal and cap until the seal is installed onto the wheel spindle.

NOTE: Be sure to inspect the double lip water seal for any deformation (damage) after installation.
    Position the double-lip water seal and its protective cap onto the wheel spindle as far as possible by hand. Thread the Rotunda Seal Installer 204-325 onto the wheel spindle until it bottoms out on the protective cap. Next, using a 25 mm (1 in) crowfoot wrench, turn the seal installer until it stops and then tighten it to 7 Nm (62 lb-in). Unscrew the Seal Installer from the wheel spindle and remove the protective cap by hand. After removing the protective cap, inspect the double-lip water seal to make sure it was not deformed during installation. If deformed, re-inspect the spindle to ensure the sharp corner was adequately removed, then obtain and install a replacement seal. See Figure 7.

graphic

FIGURE 7

3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 on the opposite side of the vehicle, then proceed to Wheel Hub Installation in this Attachment III.

SPINDLE REPLACEMENT - REAR DISC BRAKE EQUIPPED VEHICLES ONLY

1. Remove the anti-lock brake system (ABS) sensor and position it out of the way. See Figure 8.
  2. Remove and discard the rear wheel spindle. See Figure 8. Retain the bolts for reassembly.

graphic

FIGURE 8

3. NOTE: Only the service parts kit for disc brake vehicles contains a new spindle. The new spindle comes with the double-lip water seal already installed.
    Install the new rear wheel spindle. Tighten the bolts to 66 Nm (49 lb-ft).

4. Position the ABS sensor and install the bolt. Tighten the bolt to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).
  5. Repeat Steps 1 through 4 on the opposite side of the vehicle, then proceed to Wheel Hub Installation in this Attachment III.

WHEEL HUB INSTALLATION - ALL VEHICLES

1. CAUTION:
    The double-lip water seal is prelubricated. Do not apply any lubrication to the double-lip water seal or spindle before, during or after installation. Added lubrication may cause the double-lip water seal to unseat during vehicle operation.

CAUTION:
    Be careful not to damage the new ABS sensor ring during installation.

NOTE: Make sure the hub assembly is installed squarely and slowly to prevent any damage to the double-lip water seal.
    Install the wheel hub assembly onto the wheel spindle.

2. CAUTION:
    The wheel bearing retaining nut must be tightened while turning the hub counterclockwise a minimum of ten (10) times.
    Install the new wheel bearing retaining nut. Tighten the nut to 235 Nm (174 lb-ft).

3. Install the new grease cap onto the wheel hub assembly. Then, for vehicles with rear drum brakes, proceed to Step 8.
  4. Position the brake rotor onto the wheel hub.
  5. Install the caliper bracket and the brake pads. Tighten the caliper bracket bolts to 70 Nm (52 lb-ft).
  6. Position the caliper onto the caliper bracket and install the caliper bolts. Tighten the bolts to 55 Nm (41 lb-ft).
  7. Connect the parking brake cable to the caliper, then install the bolt securing the cable to the rear knuckle assembly.
  8. Install the rear wheels. Tighten lug nuts to 128 Nm (94 lb-ft).
  9. If tension on the parking brake was released for wheel hub removal, the parking brake must be adjusted. Refer to Section 206-05 in the 2001 Focus Workshop Manual.
Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure

i have ran your VIN number through and i have some very good news for you. The recall for the rear wheel retention isn't on there but the coilspring recall as well as the fuel pump recall are. They will inspect your coilsprings and replace them FREE of charge if they are broken, also, the fuel pump recall you can schedule a time for your vehicle to go to the dealer and they will give you a brand new fuelpump and fuel filter free of charge as well. Please contact them on this issue as when the fuel pump goes out, as they commonly do, it will leave you stranded whenever it decides to fail. You can refer to the information below, the OASIS report on your vehicle

OASIS RESULT:
1FAFP3437YW112661

USA
EN

12/05/2009
20:33:10
FCXWS446

© Copyright 2002-2009 Ford Motor Company. All rights reserved.

VEHICLE INFORMATION
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION
2000 FOCUS
BODY STYLE
4 DR SEDAN SE
ENGINE
2.0L EFI DOHC ZETEC
TRANSMISSION
AUTOMATIC
AXLE CODE
WW
ENGINE CALIBRATION
0AK15Z0A
PAINT COLOR
OXFORD WHITE SOLID C/C
RADIO
GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT
AXLE RATIO
3.90 FINAL DRIVE RATIO
WHEEL SIZE
6.0 X 15" ALLOY ROAD WHLS-#2
FRONT TIRE
195/60R15-S BSW

WARNING MESSAGES
CUDL - THIS VEHICLE HAS A CLOSED CUDL CONTACT
Click here for CUDL
ARN MESSAGES
GENERAL WARRANTY INFORMATION
WARRANTY START DATE
10/31/1999
BUILD DATE
08/10/1999
SALE MILEAGE
00006
OUTSTANDING FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS
03M02
CAUTION: MAY NOT NEED REPAIR; SERVICE ONLY IF CONCERN IS PRESENT. PLEASE REFER TO DEALER LETTER FOR PROGRAM COVERAGE FRONT COIL SPRINGS - COVERAGE TO 10 YEARS OF SERVICE OR 150,000 MILES FROM THE VEHICLES
03N01
FUEL DELIVERY MODULE - EXPIRES 10 YEARS FROM THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY START DATE REGARDLESS
EXTENDED COVERAGES
NO ESP INFORMATION AVAILABLE
WARRANTY REPAIR HISTORY
NO RECENT REPAIR HISTORY ON VEHICLE
| On-line 1878
END OF OASIS REPORT FOR 1FAFP3437YW112661