A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I think the anti-theft system on my 99 mustang gt is keeping

I think the anti-theft system on my 99 mustang gt is keeping my car from starting. What can I do to reset or disable it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Does the theft light flash when your trying to star the vehicle?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The light stays on for about 3 seconds while I'm cranking it and then it turns off.
Ok, the "Theft" system has nothing to do with your Mustang not starting. You may need to go to an automotive store and see if there are any codes in the engine computer for the problem you are having. The check engine light may not be on, but you can still have codes in the computer. They should get the codes for you for free. Don't let them sell you anything because they are 99% wrong with their guesses. Get the codes and post them on this page. We can go from there. The codes will narrow the problem down quite abit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, since the theft light was not flashing and remained constant for 3 seconds and turned off, it has nothing to do with the theft system? A couple days ago this happened and all I did was lock the steering wheel in place and it started right away. That is why I thought theft system may be the issue. There is no fuel coming from the fuel pressure valve when depressed. Still sure it is not anti-theft system?
If it was, the theft light would flash when you are trying to start it. You have several components in the fuel system. The codes will tell us what part needs to be replaced and/or looked at.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I get the codes (using OBD2 scanner??), can I come back and post the codes without paying a fee again? I really do appreciate your help! Smile From, Kelly

Yes. Just post the codes once you get them and we can keep on finding the problem. But get the codes first. Then post them on this question page.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more thing, I just checked this again. The theft light IS blinking after I press the unlock button on the remote. The theft light IS blinking when I insert the key to the on position but IS NOT blinking while car is cranking, only then the Theft light remains constant for 3 seconds and then turns off as I stated earlier.
That is normal. As long as it doesn;t flash when your cranking, your OK.
Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I got someone over here with an ODB2 scanner. It showed no codes at all. I think that was because my brother reset my battery last night in an attempt to reset the theft system. What is our next step to get the codes to read when the car will not start?

If there are no codes, we will have to diagnose it another way. Turn the key to on and see if you have fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the metal fuel rails for the injectors. When you push the needle valve down, you should get a BIG spray of fuel. The schrader vlave looks like a tire valve stem. Let me know what you get.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no fuel coming from the fuel pressure valve when depressed. We did this last night and was included in my response at 7:36pm last night. Wink
Sorry, It was a long night for me last night. OK. Go to the inertia switch in the trunk and see if you have power on both sides with the key on. This will eliminate the inertia switch and fuel pump relay.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it the red reset button for the fuel pump cut-off in the trunk? Is that the same as the inertia switch?
Yes, same item. We call it the inertia switch. You should have power on both wires with the key on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I am waiting on my brother to arrive in order to continue. Since this is my first time on justanswer I was just wondering. I think I left a deposit of $14 even though my charge is $11.70 or something like that. How does the deposit work with the charge, is it deducted and any overage goes to you? I was hoping that works that way.
I am not sure on that end. You will have to contact the web site administrator. I only get a small portion of it. You have already accepted earlier. We are just trying to find your problem now and getting your Mustang fixed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I won't be charged twice though right? Since I pressed accept yesterday already?
You should only be charged for 1 accept that you already have done earlier.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The green and yellow wire has power and the red and black does not have power. We tested with a test light.

Ok. Take a hammer or a big screwdriver and tap the inertia switch and then push the button down on top (red button). It should click. Then test again. If still no power on the other wire, you wil need to replace the inertia switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
With the wire harness unplugged the button popped up when I tapped it with a hammer. I pushed the button down. I assume the harness must be plugged back in before testing for power? I originally tested for power with the harness removed from the switch.

Sorry, I should have explained that better. Do the test with the switch plugged in.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, now both wires have power.
Ok. Now down near the spare tire in the trunk should be a module. It is black with a connector on it. It is the fuel pump driver module. We will need to check for power out of the module to the fuel pump. Locate the moduel and let me knwo when you find it. It will be near the left tail light near the center under the trunk carpet mat.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure if I found the module you're talking about. What I found was a black box about 3 inches by 3 inches on the drivers side above the wheel well attached to a bracket with a harness consisting of 5 wires. Brown and red has power, black and red has power, red has power, black has no power, and white and red has no power.

Ok. You are correct, they moved it in 2001. The connector should have a RED/BLACK striped wire and a BROWN/PINK striped wire. Check for power on either one of these wires with the connector plugged into the module and the key on.

Below is the diagram I am looking at.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, they are both hot
if they are both hot, your fuel pump is bad and will need to be replaced along with the fuel filter. The module is sending power to the fuel pump, but the pump cannot produce the fuel pressure needed to run the vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, i assume the tank has to be removed in order to replace it?

Yes, it is held in with 2 straps and an 8mm bolt holding the filler neck bracket. You can lower it with a floor jack with the rear end up on jack stands. Here re the links for the directions.

FUEL TANK REMOVAL

FUEL PUMP REMOVAL

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, thanks for your expertise. I've replaced fuel pumps before. The pump for my S-10 was $300, luckily we found one for the 'stang at auto zone for $180.
Make sure it is the assembly like in the picture, not just the pump motor. You'll just have more problems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, we will be installing the new fuel pump with entire assembly very soon and will post the outcome. By the way, I have been quadruple charged to my checking account already. I thought I only would have one charge! Help!!! Cry

I am only seeing one ACCEPT on 12/05/2009. Contact the website administrator and see if they can assist you. That side of this I have no control over.

At the bottom of the screen there is a HELP link. Click on it and see if you can get to where you need to go.

Edited by APenland on 12/7/2009 at 11:39 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, we got the new fuel pump assembly installed! Laughing When we turn the key to the 'on' position we can hear the fuel pump. However when trying to start the car, the engine will not turn over and the alarm keeps going off. Normally when the alarm goes off I just press the unlock button on the remote. That did not work. What can we do to get the alarm to quit going off so we can start the car?
Try this, it usually works. Disconnect the postive cable from the battery. Turn the ignition key to on and then hook the battery back up. Let me know if that works to cancel the alarm.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did what you suggested by putting the positive battery cable on last when the key is in the 'on' position. I let it sit there for a minute before trying to turn the key. Well, now the alarm is not screaming but I still cannot start my car. I turn the key and nothing happens. I even went and had my key remote checked and it is working. I had my battery charged all the way and still the same thing. I think the anti-theft system is still keeping my car from running. Please help!!! I must get it running so I can get to work.