Mike Giddens
Mike Giddens, Ford Master Certified
Experience:  Over 14 years experience, Ford Master Certified in Chassis Repair, Sync System, Hybrid

2010 Ford Fusion SEL: the navigation system and SYNC.Everytime I get

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL including the navigation system and SYNC.Everytime I get out of the car the "Bluetooth" diconnects and I have to reconnect to SYNC. Once the "Bluetooth is activated should it not remain activated?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Giddens replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX let me see if I can help you. What kind of phone do you have? Who is your carrier, ie. Verizon, Alltel, etc.....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The telephone is a Motorola W385 and the cell phone carrier is Telus Mobility (largest in Canada)

Thanks

From your symptoms and description of your concern first try turning off your phone, wait a minute, and turn it back on. If this doesn't fix it, you need to take your vehicle to your dealership and and them perform a Technical Service Bulletin which pasted below for you. The technician will first reprogram your Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) for the SYNC system, then pair your phone back to your car and that should correct a variety of issues. If not, they will need to replaced the APIM and reprogram. I have seen this programming issue on a few vehicles and have only replaced a couple of APIM's myself. After you have the TSB performed and if you still have issues it could be with your phone. For SYNC phone help go to http://www.syncmyride.com/ and they will be able to help you. Thank you for your question and I hope these suggestions fix the SYNC for you. If you need anymore help please let me know.

Printable View (50 KB)
TSB
09-14-3
  • SYNC FUNCTIONS INOPERATIVE, DTC U3000-41, U0485, OR U0100, AND/OR BATTERY DRAW WITH ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE CONNECTED
Publication Date: July 7, 2009

FORD:2008-2009 Focus, Taurus X, Taurus
2008-2010 Fusion
2010 Mustang
2008-2009 Edge, Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer
2009 Escape Hybrid, Escape, Expedition, F-150, F-Super Duty, Flex
LINCOLN:2008-2009 Zephyr
2008-2010 MKZ
2009 MKS
2008-2009 MKX, Navigator
MERCURY:2008-2009 Sable
2008-2010 Milan
2008-2009 Mountaineer
2009 Mariner Hybrid, Mariner

ISSUE:

Some 2008-2010 vehicles equipped with SYNC version 2 software level, SYNC 911 Assist and Vehicle Health Report, may exhibit all or most of the following symptoms:

• Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) U3000-41, U0485, or U0100 in Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM)
  • SYNC display menus/options blank
  • USB port inoperative
  • No SYNC Blue Tooth device connectivity
  • Voice/Phone/OK steering wheel controls inoperative
  • Lack of APIM communication
  • Parasitic battery draw with APIM connected

These symptoms may be triggered by a low battery state of charge, or a recent battery disconnect/reconnect.

ACTION:

Follow the service procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

This software upgrade only applies to the following Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) Vehicle Interface Processor (VIP) and Customer Interface Processor (CIP) software levels:

• VIP: 9L2T-14D205-AC / CIP: 9L2T-14D544-BC
  • VIP: 9L2T-14D205-AD / CIP: 9L2T-14D544-BD
  • VIP: 9L2T-14D205-AE / CIP: 9L2T-14D544-BD

To determine the current APIM software level, reference the Professional Technician Society (PTS) website, enter the VIN in OASIS, click the GO button and select the SYNC button.

1. Determine if communication can be established with the APIM using IDS.
    1. If communication cannot be verified, proceed to Step 2.
    2. If communication is present, proceed to Step 3.
  2. Reference Workshop Manual, Section 418-00, Module Communication Network to determine if communication can be established. If not, perform an APIM power reset by disconnecting and reconnecting the vehicle battery.
    1. If communication is now present, proceed to Step 3.
    2. If communication still cannot be established, replace the APIM.
  3. Reprogram the APIM to VIP software level 9L2T-14D205-AF by following the Service Procedure.

NOTE:SOFTWARE IS AVAILABLE ONLY THROUGH THE PTS WEBSITE, AND NOT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SYNCMYRIDE.COM WEBSITE.

NOTE:CONFIGURATION AND PROGRAMMING REQUIRES THE USE OF A SPECIAL PTS APPLICATION. INSTALLER MUST HAVE ACCESS TO PTS AND HAVE A VALID PTS USER ID AND PASSWORD.

1. Connect the vehicle communication module (VCM) to the data link connector (DLC).
    2. Connect the VCM to the IDS tool or laptop running IDS software.
    3. Turn the ignition key to the on position.
    4. Launch IDS tool.
    5. If required, update the VCM with the latest software.
    6. Close the IDS tool.
    7. From the PTS website, run OASIS by pressing the Read VIN And DTC's button. After vehicle communication is established, press the GO button.
    8. From the Vehicle Service Session screen, Select the SYNC button.
    9. Press read APIM button.
    10. Select software and press program APIM to update the SYNC module.

NOTE:YOU MUST USE A MALE-A TO MALE-A USB CABLE LIKE ROTUNDA PART NUMBER CCMU5B2-AM-AM-10 TO COMPLETE THIS STEP.

NOTE:DO NOT USE A TRANSFER TYPE CABLE.

NOTE:DO NOT DISCONNECT THE VCM OR USB CABLES DURING APIM PROGRAMMING.

NOTE:THE SYSTEM MAY PROMPT YOU TO INSTALL SOFTWARE FOR THE USB PORT. FOLLOW THE ON SCREEN INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL THE USB PORT DRIVER ALREADY INCLUDED IN WINDOWS XP.

11. Program the processor in the APIM.
    12. Connect the Male-A to Male-A USB cable, Rotunda part number CCMU5B2-AM-AM-10, to the IDS tool or laptop running IDS software, and to the vehicle USB port.
    13. Follow the on-screen instructions to program the VIP module.
    14. At the end of the configuration and programming procedure, the programming has been completed successfully screen will be displayed.
    15. Exit PTS, disconnect the VCM and disconnect the USB cable.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
9L3Z-14D212-CDModule (2009 Expedition, Navigator, F-150, Super Duty, Flex, 2008- 2010 Fusion, Milan, MKZ)
9L2Z-14D212-EModule (2008-2009 Edge, MKX, Explorer, Mountaineer, Sport Trac, Focus, 2010 Mustang, 2008-2009 Taurus, Sable, Taurus X)
9L3Z-14D212-BModule (2009 Escape, Mariner, MKS)

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Mike Giddens, Ford Master Certified
Experience: Over 14 years experience, Ford Master Certified in Chassis Repair, Sync System, Hybrid