Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure

2001 F350: 4wd..4 wheel high and the 4x4 light does not 2wd

Customer Question

my 2001 F350 will not go into 4wd. i turn the switch to 4 wheel high and the 4x4 light does not come on and i can tell that it is still in 2wd. is it possibly a fuse and if so which one?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 6 years ago.

Good morning and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be the teochnician assisting you today. You could have a failed GEM module, a bad 4x4 shift motor on the transfercase or possible loss of vacuum signal to the front hubs. To properly diagnose this concern, the Ford scantool should be used to retrieve any fault codes from the 4x4 module, to allocate the appropriate pinpoint test to follow based on the code. With out the scantool to aid in diagnosis ,you could check the 4x4 shift motor,tap the motor with a hamer a few times to see if this might free up the motor if it is stuck as well as the vacuum hoses going to each hub to mkae sure they are not cracked, brittle or loose. If you can provide me a dtc i can give you the appropriate pinpoint test to test the specific component and its associated wiring. I have posted the symptom chart below for additional information for you to check preliminary

Symptom Chart
ConditionPossible SourcesAction

• The vehicle does not shift between 2WD and 4X4 HIGH correctly
  • Battery junction box (BJB) fuse.
  • Mode select switch (MSS).
  • Transfer case shift relays.
  • Contact plate A, B, C, or D.
  • Gearmotor encoder assembly.
  • Circuitry.
  • GEM.
  • Transfer case mechanism.

• The vehicle does not shift between 4X4 HIGH and 4X4 LOW modes correctly
  • BJB fuse.
  • MSS.
  • Park/neutral position switch.
  • Brake pedal position (BPP) switch.
  • GEM.
  • Transfer case.
  • Digital transmission range (TR) sensor.
  • Anti-lock brake control (ABS) module.
  • Circuitry.

• The front axle is not engaging correctly
  • CJB fuse.
  • Pulse vacuum hublock (PVH) solenoid.
  • GEM.
  • Circuitry.
  • Vacuum lines.
  • Hublocks.
  • Hub and bearing.

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, after accepting the report stays open for further questions, if you need further assistance please ask,

Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to recieve credit for my work. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are appreciated & would make my day.

Edited by Ford snr master on 12/3/2009 at 3:57 PM EST