CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus that wont start due to the anti-theft

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus that won't start due to the anti-theft system. I have the Ford key but it doesn't recognize it for some reason. I spoke with my local Ford dealer and they informed me that I have to bring both the car and key in to get the codes reset. Do you know of any tricks to start the car or disable the anti-theft system? Many thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be the Expert assisitng you today.

Unfortunally with Anti-Theft lock out problems there is no much you the customer can do. About the only thing you can try is using a second or spare key if you have one. Try and see if the vehicle will start with the spare key. If the vehicle will not start and you do have a spare key you can also try this:

• Sit in vehicle with all doors closed.
  • Hit unlock switch on door
  • Take 1 key and turn to the on position, not start, and let sit for at least 3 seconds. Remove key.
  • Take 2nd key and turn to the on position for at least 3 seconds, then remove key.
  • Wait 10 seconds and then try starting car.

If the car will still not start, Unfortunally you will need to have the vehicle towed to the dealer so they can reset and check the anti theft system for probelms.